Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hughmac

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 4, 2012
Kent, UK
It's June on the International Dateline.

Welcome to Photo of the Day. The POTD thread was started by iGary in May, 2006 and converted to a monthly thread in November 2007 by Arn. POTD is one of the most popular picture groups on MacRumors, often exceeding 500 posts and 20,000 views per month.

Photo of the Day is intended to be a showcase for your best pictures. There is no limit to your gear, just your imagination. P&S and film cameras are welcome along with DSLRs. There are no themes like the Weekly Contest, and no winners (or losers) either.

Policies

*One Photo per Day - Don't post more than one photo each day.

*Multi-Quote - To comment on several photos, click the "+ (Multi-Quote) button. This puts all your comments in one post. Multi-Quoting is required on all of the MacRumors forums.

*SFW (Safe for Work) only - This is a site - wide rule. If you wouldn't show it in a public place, then it's NSFW (not safe for work). Think before you post.

*Describe your photo - Tell what it is and where you took it. If you know the EXIF data of a photo, include it. The following EXIF fields are recommended: Camera, ISO, Focal Length, Shutter/Aperture and Lens.

Note: Anyone may start the Photo of the Day thread on the first of the month GMT. Please copy a quote of this post to maintain all the formatting.

** To see all of our past POTD threads please see the sticky thread here**
[doublepost=1464770031][/doublepost]Here's one of the Russian glass I have accumulated so far...

Soviet Lens Club
by Hugh Russell, on Flickr

Top Row - 1959 KMZ Jupiter-11 135mm f/4

Middle - 1962 KMZ Jupiter-8 50mm f/2
+ 1973 MMZ Helios 44-2 58mm f/2

Bottom - Early 1970s MMZ Industar-69 28mm f/2.8

+ 1957 MMZ Industar-50 50mm f/3.5

Cheers :)

Hugh

Reactions: Alexander.Of.Oz

stillcrazyman

macrumors 603
Oct 10, 2014
Exile
Balance
DSC03531-XL.jpg

MacRy

macrumors 601
Apr 2, 2004
England
It's June on the International Dateline.

Welcome to Photo of the Day. The POTD thread was started by iGary in May, 2006 and converted to a monthly thread in November 2007 by Arn. POTD is one of the most popular picture groups on MacRumors, often exceeding 500 posts and 20,000 views per month.

Photo of the Day is intended to be a showcase for your best pictures. There is no limit to your gear, just your imagination. P&S and film cameras are welcome along with DSLRs. There are no themes like the Weekly Contest, and no winners (or losers) either.

Policies

*One Photo per Day - Don't post more than one photo each day.

*Multi-Quote - To comment on several photos, click the "+ (Multi-Quote) button. This puts all your comments in one post. Multi-Quoting is required on all of the MacRumors forums.

*SFW (Safe for Work) only - This is a site - wide rule. If you wouldn't show it in a public place, then it's NSFW (not safe for work). Think before you post.

*Describe your photo - Tell what it is and where you took it. If you know the EXIF data of a photo, include it. The following EXIF fields are recommended: Camera, ISO, Focal Length, Shutter/Aperture and Lens.

Note: Anyone may start the Photo of the Day thread on the first of the month GMT. Please copy a quote of this post to maintain all the formatting.

** To see all of our past POTD threads please see the sticky thread here**
[doublepost=1464770031][/doublepost]Here's one of the Russian glass I have accumulated so far...

Soviet Lens Club
by Hugh Russell, on Flickr

Top Row - 1959 KMZ Jupiter-11 135mm f/4

Middle - 1962 KMZ Jupiter-8 50mm f/2
+ 1973 MMZ Helios 44-2 58mm f/2

Bottom - Early 1970s MMZ Industar-69 28mm f/2.8

+ 1957 MMZ Industar-50 50mm f/3.5

Hugh

With the exception of the Helios I've owned all of those lenses. I sold the 69 but still have the others. Lovely little lenses. I don't use the Industar-50 any more since buying the Jupiter 8 and have added a Jupiter 3 to the collection, which is my favourite lens at the moment.

Here's a quick crappy picture of mine.
Russian Lenses.jpg

Last edited:

Hughmac

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 4, 2012
Kent, UK
With the exception of the Helios I've owned all of those lenses. I sold the 69 but still have the others. Lovely little lenses. I don't use the Industar-50 any more since buying the Jupiter 8 and have added a Jupiter 3 to the collection, which is my favourite lens at the moment.

Here's a quick crappy picture of mine. View attachment 633911

I'd love a Jupiter-3, but can't justify the cost at the moment what with our driveway halfway through rebuilding, and a falling down wall to repair, but I will be there one day.
That and the 85mm Jupiter :)

Does your Industar-50 reach infinity? I bought the pancake version by mistake and had to do an M42 conversion to get it to focus properly (looks silly, a pancake lens on an M42 adapter).

Hugh

MacRy

macrumors 601
Apr 2, 2004
England
I'd love a Jupiter-3, but can't justify the cost at the moment what with our driveway halfway through rebuilding, and a falling down wall to repair, but I will be there one day.
That and the 85mm Jupiter :)

Does your Industar-50 reach infinity? I bought the pancake version by mistake and had to do an M42 conversion to get it to focus properly (looks silly, a pancake lens on an M42 adapter).

Hugh

The 3 is an absolute belter of a lens. I got a good copy for £140. Well worth it.

My Industar does focus to infinity but I rarely use it these days as the Jupiters are so much better.

Reactions: Hughmac

Hughmac

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 4, 2012
Kent, UK
The 3 is an absolute belter of a lens. I got a good copy for £140. Well worth it.

My Industar does focus to infinity but I rarely use it these days as the Jupiters are so much better.
I've got a chance of an Industar-50 rangefinder from 1958 for about £20 (the year of my birth), or a black Industar-50-2 from Estonia for £13 (more recent year). I have a very good seller in Estonia I've used before and he's very efficient.
Either will look much better than the M42 converted pancake. I'm tempted.

Hugh

someoldguy

macrumors 68030
Aug 2, 2009
usa
The Moki Dugway . Goes up 1100 feet in about 3 miles . No guardrails except in the switchbacks . I had the fun and excitement of encountering at one of the turns ,( fortunately not physically) a semi on the way up as I was going down . He wasn't backing up so I did .

moki11280.jpg

inkmich

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2016
Maryland
The Moki Dugway . Goes up 1100 feet in about 3 miles . No guardrails except in the switchbacks . I had the fun and excitement of encountering at one of the turns ,( fortunately not physically) a semi on the way up as I was going down . He wasn't backing up so I did .

moki11280.jpg

Excellent, I drove this very same road in 2014. You really have to see and drive it to truly appreciate the "thrill" of it all. Great picture, I didn't stop until I got to the top to take any myself. They aren't as nice as this.

I'm very surprised a truck was on that road considering all the signs stating no trucks or trailers.

someoldguy

macrumors 68030
Aug 2, 2009
usa
Excellent, I drove this very same road in 2014. You really have to see and drive it to truly appreciate the "thrill" of it all. Great picture, I didn't stop until I got to the top to take any myself. They aren't as nice as this.

I'm very surprised a truck was on that road considering all the signs stating no trucks or trailers.

So was I . On the way up I was behind 2 pickups towing small flatbed trailers . Must have been local guys as they appeared to know the road and were hauling' . On the way down , I had a small camera on a window mount to record the trip ... Just 'cause . Anyway , I couldn't believe it when I met the semi . You didn't do the Dugway in the Porsche?

The Bad Guy

macrumors 65816
Oct 2, 2007
Australia
Here's something I posted on Facebook today not related to my puppy.
ContactSheet-001.jpg

And here's the accompanying text.

"Grief.

People deal with grief in different ways and we've all got to find our own coping mechanisms to get through it. Some deal with it better than others, we all deal with it differently and some don't deal with it at all.

Candice's father committed suicide. On her birthday.

How one deals with something like that, I can't even begin to imagine and this girl has certainly had more than her fair share of adversity in her life time (Candice was also involved in a vehicle accident that almost left her a quadriplegic not that long ago and was informed by medical staff that she'd be lucky to walk again).

One of the things that Candice thought might help was to document how she was feeling. Sort of display on the outside what's happening on the inside. That's where I came in.

I've shot Candice multiple times now, she was one of the first portrait sessions I conducted, I consider her a friend and beautiful person. When I was approached to do this shoot, I was apprehensive to say the least, but also understood and wanted to help her in anyway I could.

I hope doing this helped you Candy. <3 "

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.