Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hughmac

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2012
Kent, UK
All that extra time on your hands to practice! How's it going?

One of the things I like about macro is you can often find something to photograph right on your door stop.
Well, I'm still recovering from the shock of not having to get up for 6 o'clock starts, or go into work for 10pm. Plus I now realise how stressful that job actually was (is for those poor mates I left behind).
I've been quite busy doing things around the house and garden that have been neglected lately, been out a few times socially, and because of all this hadn't lifted a camera up for a week.
I took the bike in for its first service today, and didn't do much else because of the expected thunder storms which didn't happen until this evening, so I had a potter around the garden with my A7.

Cheers :)

Hugh

zaphodtheprez

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2005
Toronto
Nice shot. But can he play like that? I've seen some strange techniques used by farmers in the Polish High Tatra, but the way he handles the bow and violin is 'unique'.
He was playing fine music (at least to my ears) when I approached to ask his permission for taking the picture. He may have changed his grip on the bow as he posed. I was a little surprised he posed because other buskers just nod and carry on playing after I've asked and dropped a donation into the hat.

Alexander.Of.Oz

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 29, 2013
The last of this years Autumn colours from me.

_MG_3666-X3.jpg

Mark0

macrumors 6502a
Sep 11, 2014
SW Scotland
Ailsa Craig Sunset
June 2012

As some of you may know from my previous post - I recently received a handwritten letter asking if I had some photos of Ailsa Craig, the unmistakeable, well known landmark located just off the Ayrshire coast and visible from the Rhinns of Galloway and beyond.
I had a dig through my old and new file archives to see what I had and forgot I had this image. It was taken 5 years ago (almost to the day) with my old Canon camera system that has since been replaced. At the time, I didn't think much of the image as it was more of an opportunistic, unplanned snapshot. However I found that my recent work using the 1:1 square format might work well for it compositionally. I think it does.

Canon EOS 5D & EF 24-105mm f4L IS lens. No filters.
1/60s / f8 / ISO 50

Ailsa Craig Sunset small PL.png

mollyc

macrumors 604
Aug 18, 2016
I don't live anywhere exotic like some of you, but we have had the good fortune to go to Oahu twice. This is one of my all time favorite photos. It might actually be number one, but it's too hard to actually rank them. This is from the top of Diamond Head. I have a big fear of heights, and it was a struggle for me to climb the trail, as I felt the railings left a lot to be desired, and I almost had a panic attack along the way. My kids were 6 & 8 at the time of this and they thought I was crazy. At any rate, in the end, this photo made the hike worth it (plus we also saw a double rainbow from the top, which was also kind of cool).

FB_April_13_2014_001.jpg

kenoh

macrumors demi-god
Jul 18, 2008
Glasgow, UK
I don't live anywhere exotic like some of you, but we have had the good fortune to go to Oahu twice. This is one of my all time favorite photos. It might actually be number one, but it's too hard to actually rank them. This is from the top of Diamond Head. I have a big fear of heights, and it was a struggle for me to climb the trail, as I felt the railings left a lot to be desired, and I almost had a panic attack along the way. My kids were 6 & 8 at the time of this and they thought I was crazy. At any rate, in the end, this photo made the hike worth it (plus we also saw a double rainbow from the top, which was also kind of cool).

View attachment 701986

Lol. In 2010 my brother in law and I did a long weekend in Hawaii (we live in Glasgow). Long story but yeah almost spent more time getting to/from Hawaii than we spent there... So Diamond Head is one of those places where I have been in my life where I kick myself for getting into photography AFTER being there!

Such an incredible place. Nice picture. I thought I recognised the lighthouse.
[doublepost=1496496544][/doublepost]
Ailsa Craig Sunset
June 2012

As some of you may know from my previous post - I recently received a handwritten letter asking if I had some photos of Ailsa Craig, the unmistakeable, well known landmark located just off the Ayrshire coast and visible from the Rhinns of Galloway and beyond.
I had a dig through my old and new file archives to see what I had and forgot I had this image. It was taken 5 years ago (almost to the day) with my old Canon camera system that has since been replaced. At the time, I didn't think much of the image as it was more of an opportunistic, unplanned snapshot. However I found that my recent work using the 1:1 square format might work well for it compositionally. I think it does.

Canon EOS 5D & EF 24-105mm f4L IS lens. No filters.
1/60s / f8 / ISO 50

View attachment 701971

OK, I stand corrected. The previous one was beautiful. THIS one is STUNNING!

Reactions: Mark0 and mollyc

kenoh

macrumors demi-god
Jul 18, 2008
Glasgow, UK
Not that I don't like flowers but we need a bit of a break. Love me some Iron, Detroit Iron. 61 Caddy Coupe. I think it had a Liberian license plate.;)

Love the lines on that red challenger in your Flickr feed. Think Dodge have done a great job with the reincarnation of the Challenger.

zagato27

macrumors 68000
Aug 10, 2003
The Hill
Love the lines on that red challenger in your Flickr feed. Think Dodge have done a great job with the reincarnation of the Challenger.

Hmmm, don't think I have any red Challengers on Flickr. Have a pretty sweet red Camaro. Ahhhh, across the pond citizen. Probably a bit challenging in American car id as it would be for me to identify a Golf Polo (actually I could do it but we don't get that one here). Took that one for a buddy of mine who drools over Camaros. Post it tomorrow. PS, glad you liked it. Oh yes, there was a new Challenger at the Cars & Coffee today. It was pretty clean but the older guy who owned it had it festooned with "Punisher" decals and emblems. When I say festooned, I mean they were everywhere. Inside of his hood and trunk just all over. Kind of ruined it for me so I didn't take a photo. Glad you liked the Camaro, more later. One more bit of trivia...my grandfather was one of 7 kids originally from Glasgow. Maybe I'll visit one day. Cheers

Last edited:
Reactions: kenoh

kenoh

macrumors demi-god
Jul 18, 2008
Glasgow, UK
Hmmm, don't think I have any red Challengers on Flickr. Have a pretty sweet red Camaro. Ahhhh, across the pond citizen. Probably a bit challenging in American car id as it would be for me to identify a Golf Polo (actually I could do it but we don't get that one here). Took that one for a buddy of mine who drools over Camaros. Post it tomorrow. PS, glad you liked it. Oh yes, there was a new Challenger at the Cars & Coffee today. It was pretty clean but the older guy who owned it had it festooned with "Punisher" decals and emblems. When I say festooned, I mean they were everywhere. Inside of his hood and trunk just all over. Kind of ruined it for me so I didn't take a photo. Glad you liked the Camaro, more later. One more bit of trivia...my grandfather was one of 7 kids originally from Glasgow. Maybe I'll visit one day. Cheers

It is a lovely example but meh Camaro... Thought I called it right. Nevermind... Either way it ain't no Shelby GT right? :)

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
damn, why did I decide to go hiking lightweight and only bring a 40mm pancake and not a 200mm
c20c8b9c60f3e4b407fb478fbff3da2b.jpg
My thoughts exactly as I was out yesterday and watched a squirrel jump over a stream! Just had my 24-70mm with me. Not been through the photos yet, but at least I got out for a change!

Hughmac

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2012
Kent, UK
My thoughts exactly as I was out yesterday and watched a squirrel jump over a stream! Just had my 24-70mm with me. Not been through the photos yet, but at least I got out for a change!
damn, why did I decide to go hiking lightweight and only bring a 40mm pancake and not a 200mm
c20c8b9c60f3e4b407fb478fbff3da2b.jpg

Makes a very good case for the one size fits all zoom, but of course quality suffers ;)

[doublepost=1496566273][/doublepost]Another macro attempt to see how close in I can actually get...

Moss and Stuff on Concrete
by Hugh Russell, on Flickr

Cheers :)

Hugh

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.