Photo of the Day May 2015

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by oblomow, Apr 30, 2015.

1. oblomow macrumors 68020

oblomow

It's May on the International Dateline.

Welcome to Photo of the Day. The POTD thread was started by iGary in May, 2006 and converted to a monthly thread in November 2007 by Arn. POTD is one of the most popular picture groups on MacRumors, often exceeding 500 posts and 20,000 views per month.

Photo of the Day is intended to be a showcase for your best pictures. There is no limit to your gear, just your imagination. P&S and film cameras are welcome along with DSLRs. There are no themes like the Weekly Contest, and no winners (or losers) either.

Policies

*One Photo per Day - Don't post more than one photo each day.

*Quote with Thumbnails - When you quote an image please restore it's thumbnail before replying. You can do this either by installing the AutoTIMG browser extension or by editing the code by hand.

*Multi-Quote - To comment on several photos, click the Multi-Quote button. This puts all your comments in one post. Multi-Quoting is required on all of the MacRumors forums.

*SFW (Safe for Work) only - This is a site - wide rule. If you wouldn't show it in a public place, then it's NSFW (not safe for work). Think before you post.

*Describe your photo - Tell what it is and where you took it. If you know the EXIF data of a photo, include it. The following EXIF fields are recommended: Camera, ISO, Focal Length, Shutter/Aperture and Lens.

*Photography forum tutorials - If you need any help with posting, try one of these tutorials.

Posting Photos to Photo Forums from Flickr and ImageShack

How to Quote, Multi-Quote and Edit Posts

Restoring Thumbnails in Photo Quotes (AutoTIMG Extension and Code Editing)

For One-Click Access, they are all here: Designer Dale's Google Docs Folder:

Note: Anyone may start the Photo of the Day thread on the first of the month GMT. Please copy a quote of this post or download the Welcome file from HERE when you do. Both maintain all the formatting and links.

** To see all of our past POTD threads please see the sticky thread here**

2. Hughmac macrumors demi-god

Hughmac

Camellia

[​IMG]

Camellia
    by Hugh Russell, on Flickr

Fuji S3 Pro, Nikon 50mm f1.8, 1/125 @ f5.6, ISO 200

Cheers :)

Hugh

3. kenoh macrumors demi-god

kenoh

Nice composition. Just need to lift the shadiws a bit to shiw more detail. That S3 really does deliver on the saturation diesnt it?

4. acearchie macrumors 68040

acearchie

These months are catching up quickly aren't they! Almost half way through the year and I hadn't even noticed.

Another filmy one.

As always, comments appreciated!

[​IMG]
    Katherine
    by acearchie, on Flickr

5. Hughmac macrumors demi-god

Hughmac

Most of these first shots haven't been edited so you can evaluate them as taken :)

PS, is your 'o' broken? :D

Hugh

6. kenoh macrumors demi-god

kenoh

no, it isnt but I keep hitting the i instead of the o on my keyboard on the screen.

I have fat thumbs and a small screen.

I am not dyslexic, I can spell, I do work in IT so know how to work a computer BUT I cant type for toffee! :)

7. Hughmac macrumors demi-god

Hughmac

My keyboard is useless - it can't spell properly when I try to type quickly

Hugh

8. Doylem macrumors 68040

Doylem

The Tan Hill Inn may be in the middle of nowhere, but it still spins a profit. It's right on the Pennine Way (a long-distance trail); to weary walkers it must look like a mirage! Farmers use it, and plenty of people go out of their way to visit the place (hoping, like me, to get snowed in!).

I am writing a book, but not about my travels. It's about our relationships with landscape (and, hopefully, not as pretentious as it sounds). I write a blog about my travels (I'll add the URL to my posts)... but mostly so my kids know where I am, so, when I fall off a mountain, they'll know where to search for the body... :p

Back in the Lake District for a few days. This is Crummockwater (the VW makes it into a saleable stock shot, I reckon)...

[​IMG]

9. MacRy macrumors 68040

MacRy

Mrs MacRy taking a breather and a vape after we did some gardening today. The back pain evident on her face :(

[​IMG]
    Fuji XE1 with Voigtlander Nokton 50mm 1.5

Not ideal shooting conditions in the bright midday sun and some of the highlights are blown, but I have to get some practice in with my new lens :)

10. someoldguy, May 1, 2015
    Last edited: May 1, 2015

someoldguy macrumors 65816

A couple of days back , I posted a picture of 'Cliffhanger Point". There was a vintage pic of the point that I got here:

http://www.njpalisades.org/deconstructingCliffhanger.html

The same site has this picture of the actress Pearl White in her car :

[​IMG]

Hey! I know that place , but it sure has changed in the last 90+ years , wonder what Pearl would think of it now?
    So , with the magic of Photoshop , and some time standing on some guy's nicely sodded lawn with my camera ... Pearl returns ...

[​IMG]

11. TheReef macrumors 68000

TheReef

Mate

[​IMG]

I agree, I can imagine this one with vintage instagram effects and a trendily typefaced title overlaid :p

12. The Bad Guy macrumors 6502a

The Bad Guy

13. needfx macrumors 68040

needfx

perilous profession, note the helmet and gas mask on the guy closest to the camera

[​IMG]

14. Puckman macrumors 6502

Pelican Cove

You have a blog and you are just now telling us about it? I, for one, would love to read something like that. Please do share!

Mine for today. Pelican Cove again.

[​IMG]

15. Apple fanboy macrumors P6

Apple fanboy

Street photography can be tough in your neighbourhood then?

----------

Nice. Agree on the Doylem blog!

16. Apple fanboy macrumors P6

Apple fanboy

Mine for today. Don't you just love spring? Especially when the winter was naff for photography with no snow.

[​IMG]_DSC0281 by apple fanboy1, on Flickr

Comments always welcome.

17. Grey Beard macrumors 65816

Grey Beard

18. The Bad Guy macrumors 6502a

The Bad Guy

19. kenoh macrumors demi-god

kenoh

Enjoying the blog, need to write more though.

20. Doylem, May 2, 2015
    Last edited: May 2, 2015

Doylem macrumors 68040

Doylem

Yes, it's more of a place-holder than a blog right now. But I'll be posting some bits from my book, especially about seeing and being attentive. It's not specifically about photography, but maybe relevant to getting into an appropriate state of mind before taking the camera out, and enjoying that state of 'flow', when photography (and generally being 'present') just seems natural and easy... not a chore...

Honister Pass...

[​IMG]

21. acearchie macrumors 68040

acearchie

Sounds like a place I will have to pay a visit someday!

Having just (potentially) sold my first image I hope that this can be a cash cow for you! Do you put all your shots up for sale?

Here's mine for the day. As always, comments appreciated!

[​IMG]Monflanquin Petrol by acearchie, on Flickr

22. Melizard macrumors 6502

Melizard

Here is a photo of the New Years festival (Bisket Jatra) in Bhaktapur, Nepal, marking the year 2072 on the Nepal Calendar. There was a lot of music and chariots being carried through the streets for offerings. It's hard to look at photos I took during my trip since the earthquake, and I wonder how different these people's lives are now.

[​IMG]
    Nepal 2015 by Melissa.O.Anderson, on Flickr

23. stillcrazyman macrumors 65816

stillcrazyman

24. Cheese&Apple macrumors 68000

Cheese&Apple

Thanks for the link to your blog Doylem...an enjoyable read for sure. Your entries from last November when you first started out on the road were very much of interest to me.

Looking forward to future posts.

~ Peter

25. anotherscotsman macrumors 65816

What a great idea for a photo project! Involves a bit of background research as well as the obvious photography and post skills. Keep it coming.