Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CmdrLaForge

macrumors 601
Feb 26, 2003
around the world
image.jpeg

Man at work

MCH-1138

macrumors 6502
Jan 31, 2013
California
Good idea and well executed.

I concur with you.

Thanks, AFB and JamesMike! I didn't really set out to document a wingbeat cycle, but found it pretty interesting when the opportunity arose. I shot 17 frames of that particular bird over a 20-second period. They don't normally hang out for that long, and I can't remember ever shooting that many frames from a single visit to the feeder. My quick internet research suggests that an Anna's hummingbird beats its wings an estimated 50 times per second on average, so it likely beat its wings about 1,000 times or so over that interval.

When I went through to cull, I discovered that I had maybe 11 or 12 usable frames (in focus, off the feeder, good lighting, etc.) and that 9 of the frames had the bird in basically the same position/orientation with its wings in 9 different positions of the wingbeat cycle, and so the idea for the composite was hatched. I ended up going with 8 frames because I couldn't come up with a layout that that fit all 9 in a way that I liked, and opted for the circle rather than 2 rows of 4 (which would have allowed for a more compact grouping) because I felt like it allowed viewers to more naturally follow the motion of the wings as their eyes moved around the circle.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ish

kenoh

macrumors demi-god
Jul 18, 2008
Glasgow, UK
Another on the red background. This is the latest bully in the yard, trying to chase off the other birds..

Allen's Hummingbird
by MCH-1138, on Flickr

Nikon D7000 • Nikon 300mm f/4D (AF-S) • 1/250 @ f/16 • 3 Speedlights

Please, for my sanity, tell me you have burned out SD cards form the thousands of images to get these pin sharp masterpieces! please... even if you havent say yes so we dot feel so crap... :)
[doublepost=1462392678][/doublepost]
Thank you kindly :)
[doublepost=1462360663][/doublepost]Another point of view...

DSC03098-XL.jpg

The colours in this series have been beautiful. Very Hockney-esque colour wise.
[doublepost=1462392713][/doublepost]

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Another Great Tit.
Ever notice you get more views when you add that as a key word?
_DSC9761 by apple fanboy1, on Flickr
[doublepost=1462392965][/doublepost]
Please, for my sanity, tell me you have burned out SD cards form the thousands of images to get these pin sharp masterpieces! please... even if you havent say yes so we dot feel so crap... :)
[doublepost=1462392678][/doublepost]

The colours in this series have been beautiful. Very Hockney-esque colour wise.
[doublepost=1462392713][/doublepost]
Want Pin sharp? Get a Nikon! :p
(or just be a real pro like @MCH-1138!)

MCH-1138

macrumors 6502
Jan 31, 2013
California

No, I usually only shoot one or two frames a day. ;)

Want Pin sharp? Get a Nikon! :p

Isn't @Cheese&Apple a Nikon shooter? I think AFB is on to something here...

Seriously though, Ken, I haven't burned out any SD cards yet (insert plug for SanDisk here), but I take a lot of shots that never see the light of day. I think the nature of wildlife photography in particular is that you often take a lot of photos in order to get a very few really decent ones -- especially if you are an amateur like me.

To give you a somewhat extreme example from my LR catalog, it looks like one day last month I shot about 400 frames of ambient light photos (this skews high because I don't have to worry about flashes recycling, etc., but shooting 200 frames would not be uncommon for a session). 75 of those survived my initial cull (and I am not a particularly aggressive culler). And although some of them are decent and perhaps even interesting, none of them really made me say "wow" during my initial pass, so I haven't published any of them. I will take another pass through at some point to see if there are one or two that are worth developing a little more and I may save one or two to use as reminders for myself on how the lighting ideas played out, but the likelihood is that most of the 75 will simply get tossed on the next go-round.

So rest assured that there is a lot of trial-and-error that goes on behind the scenes. Except when I break out my stuffed-bird collection (cue Monty Python)...

Reactions: kenoh
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.