Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

malofx

macrumors 6502
Mar 22, 2012
Los Angeles
Valley of Fire, Nevada.

Valley Of Death-1.jpg

kallisti

macrumors 68000
Apr 22, 2003
Went back to a pic I posted last month and edited it again. Bottle cap filled with water after a rain.

Used Silver Efex Pro for the B&W conversion rather than LR. Also flipped it horizontally to give a better composition: the lines of the leaf draw the eye into the image from left to right. The tones in this version of the image also draw the eye into the photo from left to right, with the bottle cap being the brightest element.

45707809722_89cf6e097c_h.jpg

anotherscotsman

macrumors 68020
Aug 2, 2014
UK
Appropriately called Crooked Edge. A nice waterfall that's extremely difficult to make look good because of the weird angles - you naturally expect water to fall vertically but the underlying rock diverts it with an almost right-angle turn of direction at the bottom! Yes, the camera was vertical on the tripod. Comments always appreciated.

Crooked Edge
by another scotsman, on Flickr

Mark0

macrumors 6502a
Sep 11, 2014
SW Scotland
Otter Pools by Night

The Otter Pools are a well known and popular destination for locals and tourists on the Raiders Road within the Galloway Forest - especially during the summer months in hot weather. The relatively shallow water is perfect for kids and adults to paddle, splash and explore.
However, it is a completely different place at night - extremely dark, cold and isolated. It is probably the darkest spot I've been to yet in the Galloway Forest Dark Sky Park although the Raiders Road is now closed for the winter.

This image is the result of good planning. I needed to get to the location and get the sky and Milky Way captured before the moon rose too much, as it floods the sky with ambient white light and washes out the detail of the Milky Way. Funnily enough, I then had to wait for the moon to rise slightly to give enough light to capture detail in the foreground and then combine the images. A delicate balancing act that I feel I managed to achieve.

Fuji X-T2 with Samyang 12mm f2 NCS lens.

Foreground: 8 mins / f2 / ISO 200
Sky: 16 images stacked and aligned @ 15s / f2/ ISO 6400
Composited and finished in Photoshop CC 2019

Otter Pools by Night - Complete small PL.png

inkmich

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2016
Maryland
Otter Pools by Night

The Otter Pools are a well known and popular destination for locals and tourists on the Raiders Road within the Galloway Forest - especially during the summer months in hot weather. The relatively shallow water is perfect for kids and adults to paddle, splash and explore.
However, it is a completely different place at night - extremely dark, cold and isolated. It is probably the darkest spot I've been to yet in the Galloway Forest Dark Sky Park although the Raiders Road is now closed for the winter.

This image is the result of good planning. I needed to get to the location and get the sky and Milky Way captured before the moon rose too much, as it floods the sky with ambient white light and washes out the detail of the Milky Way. Funnily enough, I then had to wait for the moon to rise slightly to give enough light to capture detail in the foreground and then combine the images. A delicate balancing act that I feel I managed to achieve.

Fuji X-T2 with Samyang 12mm f2 NCS lens.

Foreground: 8 mins / f2 / ISO 200
Sky: 16 images stacked and aligned @ 15s / f2/ ISO 6400
Composited and finished in Photoshop CC 2019

View attachment 802202

Very nice!

Reactions: Mark0
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.