Photo of the day : October 2013

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by ijohn.8.80, Sep 30, 2013.

1. ijohn.8.80 macrumors 65816

ijohn.8.80

It's October on the International Dateline.

Welcome to Photo of the Day. The POTD thread was started by iGary in May, 2006 and converted to a monthly thread in November 2007 by Arn. POTD is one of the most popular picture groups on MacRumors, often exceeding 500 posts and 20,000 views per month.

Photo of the Day is intended to be a showcase for your best pictures. There is no limit to your gear, just your imagination. P&S and film cameras are welcome along with DSLRs. There are no themes like the Weekly Contest, and no winners (or losers) either.

Policies

*One Photo per Day - Don't post more than one photo each day.

*Quote with Thumbnails - When you quote an image please restore it's thumbnail before replying. You can do this either by installing the AutoTIMG browser extension or by editing the code by hand.

*Multi-Quote - To comment on several photos, click the Multi-Quote button. This puts all your comments in one post. Multi-Quoting is required on all of the MacRumors forums.

*SFW (Safe for Work) only - This is a site - wide rule. If you wouldn't show it in a public place, then it's NSFW (not safe for work). Think before you post.

*Describe your photo - Tell what it is and where you took it. If you know the EXIF data of a photo, include it. The following EXIF fields are recommended: Camera, ISO, Focal Length, Shutter/Aperture and Lens.

*Photography forum tutorials - If you need any help with posting, try one of these tutorials.

Posting Photos to Photo Forums from Flickr and ImageShack

How to Quote, Multi-Quote and Edit Posts

Restoring Thumbnails in Photo Quotes (AutoTIMG Extension and Code Editing)

For One-Click Access, they are all here: Designer Dale's Google Docs Folder:

Note: Anyone may start the Photo of the Day thread on the first of the month GMT. Please copy a quote of this post or download the Welcome file from HERE when you do. Both maintain all the formatting and links.

** To see all of our past POTD threads please see the sticky thread here **

----------

Not quite perfectly symmetrical, but for a handheld quickie, I like it. I'll go back and get it bang-on soon, with a tripod. :eek:

[​IMG]

2. acearchie macrumors 68040

acearchie

Back to people for me!

As always, comments appreciated!

[​IMG]
    Emma by acearchie, on Flickr

3. Puckman macrumors 6502

I love that shot, Archie. I've been trying to do some portraits (candid-like) for the past few days and failing miserably. Haha.

My current "best".

Comments appreciated.

[​IMG]
    Backyard Portraits-11 by Puckman2012, on Flickr

4. kallisti macrumors 65816

kallisti

Yay, get to post 2 in one day (one for September and this for October). End of last month's thread was a shot of Rome at night.

Starting this month off with the city of Amalfi at night.

[​IMG]

5. MacRy macrumors 68040

MacRy

6. Doylem macrumors 68040

Doylem

You picked the perfect time of the evening to pick up the ambient light and the lights of the town. I feel I can wander those streets and terraces...

Still life...

[​IMG]

7. Cheese&Apple macrumors 68000

Cheese&Apple

Newfoundland Moose:

[​IMG]

Moose are not native to Newfoundland. As the story goes...in 1904 two breeding pairs were introduced for hunting/food purposes. Today the population hovers around 120,000.

It's not hard to guess what the moose are doing in their spare time. :)

8. gaswerks macrumors 6502

spooky syd ...

Attached Files:

9. Groucho123 macrumors newbie

First Try

I have been following this forum for a while. Here's my first pictures. Played around with Lensbaby and Aperture this (last) summer. What do you think?

Groucho

Attached Files:

10. Puckman macrumors 6502

11. someoldguy macrumors 65816

12. rchip macrumors regular

Your photos have such an amazing quality about them that is hard to put your finger on! Just had another browse through your flickr page and I just don't know how on earth you get so many amazing looking shots from what would look so ordinary if I took them!

Beautiful! This photo has a massive wow factor.

13. Phrasikleia macrumors 601

Phrasikleia

A very compelling portrait, acearchie.

Beautiful, Kallisti. The blue hour scene really helps to simplify the view, which can be a riot of colors and details during the day.

Looks like Fall is in full swing there. Lucky you!

14. themumu macrumors 6502a

themumu

View from the Lobster Cove Lighthouse, Rocky Harbour, Newfoundland.
    Taken with the Fuji X100s, panorama mode. The single most memorable thing about that location at that time was not even the beautiful sunset colours, but the fierce and unstoppable beating of the waves. Click through for a bigger version. I'm thinking of making a canvas print out of this, maybe crop a bit of the far right first.

[​IMG]
    Untitled by FriskyFreeze, on Flickr

15. rchip macrumors regular

[​IMG]

The most relaxed dog ever, just chilling in his boat.

16. Apple fanboy macrumors Core

Apple fanboy

17. fcortese macrumors demi-god

fcortese

I left a little earlier for work than usual to catch sunrise and the early autumn colors north of town. I lucked out when a streak of light broke through some of the clouds to the east and lit up the tops the the aspen trees in front of me. It lasted only for about a minute and then it was gone.

[​IMG]

18. Apple fanboy macrumors Core

Apple fanboy

Nice. Sometimes it's as simple as being in the right place at the right time. Helps when you have such a beautiful background as well.

19. Astroboy907, Oct 1, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2013

Astroboy907 macrumors 65816

Astroboy907

Dude, if you went back and got one at night, maybe with some stars or clouds... photoshop in a galaxy and it would look even sicker than it does now :eek:

----------

Beautiful. Crazy how steep it is... Been to that Almafi coast myself and it's truly beautiful!

----------

Wow. Might have to purchase that shot. I like how it seems "techno" :D

Edit: one of my better ones, still using my Panasonic FZ-100. Working my way to a new Canon or Nikon ATM
    [​IMG]
    Taken in Leiden on a trip with my grandmother to europe! Pretty much just a random shot though, nothing special...

20. fireman32 macrumors 6502a

haven't posted in POTD in a while. This was from a shoot this past weekend and was one of my favorite shots. I welcome all comments and criticism.
    [​IMG]
    _DSC0255.jpg by dspector32, on Flickr

21. fcortese macrumors demi-god

fcortese

OK, so I take back what I previously said. Now this is my favorite of your Italy pictures! I know where this was taken from. We rented a small house outside of Amalfi 3 years ago and took the local coastal bus system everywhere along the coast.

Beautiful autumn shot from Alaska. Thanks, AM.

22. AlaskaMoose macrumors 65816

Hey! What is AlaskaMoose doing in Canada? :D:D
    ----------------------------

Thanks, fcortese

23. NiKeZz macrumors 6502

NiKeZz

Wow what a lovely shot! :eek: