Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kingalexthe1st

macrumors 6502
Apr 13, 2013
I've been curious but too afraid to ask. Now that the question is out there it's time to fess-up AFB - what the hell is your avatar all about?

It's the little guy from the EDF energy adverts a while back, isn't it? Not sure about the animation though - I guess AppleFanBoy saw an AppleFanGirl and....well, you know the rest.

Alex

Cheese&Apple

macrumors 68010
Jun 5, 2012
Toronto
Tough day

DSC_0234-L.jpg

HalfOnWhole

macrumors member
May 23, 2011
Took this shot of my friend peeing into the Grand Canyon. It ended up on Reddit and a bunch of other places across the web. It was taken on my old Lumix point and shoot one morning during a road trip across the states.

Attachments

• andre_peeing_grand_canyon.jpg
    andre_peeing_grand_canyon.jpg
    715.1 KB · Views: 152

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
I've been curious but too afraid to ask. Now that the question is out there it's time to fess-up AFB - what the hell is your avatar all about?

Didn't realise I came across as scary. It was a size matters game to coincide with the iPhone launch. Haven't changed it back yet!
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1771422/
Tbh I think I need a new avatar. I'll have a think.

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
Thanks to everyone who commented on my last photo (and on the interview). I really appreciate the feedback.

Very interesting interview P, thanks for sharing. Do you have to spend much time each year teaching? I love this photograph and the way the warmth of the flowers balances the warmth of the sky and how the line of flowers points to the rising sun. They couldn't have been better placed.

It varies from one semester to the next, but yeah, teaching takes up a lot of my time in general. Thanks for your comments on the photo, Ish!

Beautiful (as ever). Glad you're back. I missed the weekly dose of Slovenia...

Was I actually posting weekly at one point?! :eek: I wish I had that kind of output to share right now. My hard drive is full of woefully neglected, unprocessed images at the moment. At least I did manage to get an article published on my site yesterday: LINK. Yeah, I know, pictures are better!

acearchie

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2006

Anther great 'selfie'! Do you plan a lot of your self-portraits or is it a more spontaneous approach?

Cracking shot!

Just a thought, but have you tried the auto level feature in LR5? Might sort our some of the lines.

Here's mine! Bit of a BTS one.

As always, comments appreciated.

Candy Cartel 2014 LookBook
by acearchie, on Flickr

Gmcube

macrumors regular
Jun 19, 2009
This was from my point and shoot days. Ive since bought a T3i, but I'd still say this is one of my favorites.

Striped_Slumber_by_gmcube.jpg

Full disclosure, I did do quite a bit of processing to get the colors looking this vibrant, the original color pallet was rather dull. I also did some things like removed reflections from a window.

It was taken at Disney's Animal Kingdom.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK

No offence, but I don't think that would fit my description of 'best hotel'! :eek:

Nice picture though.

----------

[url=https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2950/15471184091_b576bb1bca_c.jpg]Image[/url]

Hampstead Heath Lake in Moonlight

Canon EOS 6D
EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS
ƒ/3.5
21.0 mm
1/6
ISO12800

Hampstead Heath. That takes me back. The wife used to work just down the road at the Royal Free Hospital.

I like the sky in this one.

kenoh

macrumors demi-god
Jul 18, 2008
Glasgow, UK
Anther great 'selfie'! Do you plan a lot of your self-portraits or is it a more spontaneous approach?

Cracking shot!

Just a thought, but have you tried the auto level feature in LR5? Might sort our some of the lines.

[url=https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3931/15431779301_d4c4b085b5_c.jpg]Image[/url]
Candy Cartel 2014 LookBook
by acearchie, on Flickr

I like the way you add space around them. Is that negative space? Anyway I like how it makes the image seem more airy.

----------

To be honest, I don't know. Perhaps I revisited the images once a week.
Anyhow, good to have you back. Now start processing those neglected photos!

We are seeing some folks coming back of late. It is great to see folks becoming more active again. Nice pictures in here and some of you guys have serious talent.

----------

Great shot. Really nice. It doesn't matter how bad our day at the office gets, there are folks like this who watch over us and who have a bad day on a whole different level.

Beautiful crisp shot. I was looking at a site yesterday vahnonen.com (might have spelled it wrong) amazing sharp landscape and nature images. Mainly taken in Finland.

I am wondering if places where the air is cold and crisper, does that lend itself to clearer sharper images at all? Or am I being thick?

kingalexthe1st

macrumors 6502
Apr 13, 2013
Cracking shot!

Thanks, I have no idea who she is but she's immortalised in silver-somethingorother now.

Thanks also for the heads-up regarding the lines; I admit it didn't occur to me to try to straighten them out. The window sloped away like that to fit the hull of the boat so I didn't think of straightening them as it wasn't a perspective thing. The other thing is that I've removed a whopping great bar that ran down the middle. This one window was actually 2. For a film photo I felt that was enough editing at the time and I think I would have felt a bit guilty for doing any more.

But that was then and this is now, so I've had a quick go and I think it looks alright!

girl on cook strait (leveled)

Who took your BTS photo? Can we get a photo of them taking a photo of you taking a photo of your model? :)

Alex

Cheese&Apple

macrumors 68010
Jun 5, 2012
Toronto
Beautiful crisp shot. I was looking at a site yesterday vahnonen.com (might have spelled it wrong) amazing sharp landscape and nature images. Mainly taken in Finland.

I am wondering if places where the air is cold and crisper, does that lend itself to clearer sharper images at all? Or am I being thick?

Thanks kenoh and you're not being thick at all.

Our summer season does get very hot and humid (over 30C and over 40C if you factor in the humidity). In July and August the air often gets thick and unpleasant. Also, fortunately or unfortunately depending on your perspective, Toronto has a population of almost 3 million people and with that comes atmospheric problems that are very noticeable during the hot and humid days.

I can't speak for Finland but without doubt, I do appreciate the crisp clear days that are far more frequent during our winter season. It makes the -20C days tolerable.

I also love this time of year. I think mid-September to mid-October is our best 4 week period of the entire year.

~ Peter

HereBeMonsters

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2012
Fareham, UK
YnTj02P.jpg

My wife and son looking at chickens at a petting zoo set up in my town.

Just a snapshot really, taken on my new Nikon 1 V2 playing with the aperture priority mode. This was f4 at 1/200 ISO200. I liked the dappled Autumn sunlight through the trees, and the washed out right corner that was exposed in the sun.

Weird that this is my favourite shot, as there was a bloody great big Cathedral about 100 yards away, and most of what I shot was of that!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.