Photo of the Day October 2016

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by oblomow, Oct 1, 2016.

1. oblomow, Oct 1, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2016

oblomow macrumors 68020

oblomow

It's October on the International Dateline.

Welcome to Photo of the Day. The POTD thread was started by iGary in May, 2006 and converted to a monthly thread in November 2007 by Arn. POTD is one of the most popular picture groups on MacRumors, often exceeding 500 posts and 20,000 views per month.

Photo of the Day is intended to be a showcase for your best pictures. There is no limit to your gear, just your imagination. P&S and film cameras are welcome along with DSLRs. There are no themes like the Weekly Contest, and no winners (or losers) either.

Policies

*One Photo per Day - Don't post more than one photo each day.

*Multi-Quote - To comment on several photos, click the "+ (Multi-Quote) button. This puts all your comments in one post. Multi-Quoting is required on all of the MacRumors forums.

*SFW (Safe for Work) only - This is a site - wide rule. If you wouldn't show it in a public place, then it's NSFW (not safe for work). Think before you post.

*Describe your photo - Tell what it is and where you took it. If you know the EXIF data of a photo, include it. The following EXIF fields are recommended: Camera, ISO, Focal Length, Shutter/Aperture and Lens.

Note: Anyone may start the Photo of the Day thread on the first of the month GMT. Please copy a quote of this post to maintain all the formatting.

** To see all of our past POTD threads please see the sticky thread here**

[​IMG]

2. Hughmac macrumors demi-god

Hughmac

3. anotherscotsman macrumors 65816

As you can probably guess, I've been in DC the last week or two with a weekend to do some photography. More to come...Comments always appreciated.

[​IMG]

Hirshhorn Torus
    by another scotsman, on Flickr

Oblomow - I like your night shots of late but it might be worth changing the white balance to move away from the heavily yellow cast. I'd simply set your white balance on the basis of a gray/white/black object in the scene e.g. the door strap work. I think this would make a real difference. Give it a try and see what you think.

4. oblomow, Oct 1, 2016

oblomow thread starter macrumors 68020

oblomow

[​IMG]

Like this? Yes. You're right. Thanks for the suggestion. The excuse? I'm still trying get use to the workflow of Affinity Photo. Previously I was a happy Bibble user, but that doesn't support my new camera (6D)

5. kenoh macrumors demi-god

kenoh

Way better! Good shout @anotherscotsman!

Great night shot!

6. anotherscotsman macrumors 65816

A lot better IMHO. Like all things it's a matter of personal preference whether you want the artificial light effect or not - sometimes changing the colour balance can give dramatic light atmosphere even when not 'realistic'.

Cheers.

7. kenoh macrumors demi-god

kenoh

[​IMG]
    L1002366-Edit-4
    by Ken OHagan, on Flickr

Thought I would try some grainy Film Noir effect pictures this morning. The effect was inspired by @anotherscotsman and his Collier series. Really liked those.

I thought the Fog and mist would add to the Noir feel. Not sure. Maybe if it was night time fog rather than morning time. Anyway! Hope you like this and comments welcome...

8. Cheese&Apple macrumors 68000

Cheese&Apple

Coastal Brown Bears, Lake Clark Alaska

[​IMG]

This past summer I spent an extraordinary week photographing the Coastal Brown Bears of Lake Clark Alaska.

The Coastal Brown Bears of Alaska are a sub species of brown bear. They are similar to the Grizzly Bears of mainland North America but larger. Female Coastal Brown Bears average 227 kilograms (500 lb) and males 408 kilograms (900 lb) in weight.

It was exhilarating to photograph these beautiful animals in their completely wild and natural habitat with nothing but an unarmed but knowledgeable guide for protection.

~ Peter

9. kenoh macrumors demi-god

kenoh

Fabulous picture! So wonderful to see animals in their own habitat. Even if you were a bit bear protection wise.

10. Apple fanboy macrumors Core

Apple fanboy

Lovely composition. When you shoot tame animals I often make silly noises to try and get there attention so they look at you (especially grazing animals). Do you use a similar approach with dangerous animals?
    --- Post Merged, Oct 1, 2016 ---
    Your barred!
    I like it Ken.

11. Cheese&Apple macrumors 68000

Cheese&Apple

Thanks guys. :)

No AFB...no noises. You get a briefing from the guide before going out. The guides are very clear that, for safety and respect for the preservation of the bears, you quietly observe and photograph only. The bears are very much aware of your presence but you don't want to encourage their interest beyond that.

There were times when we would start photographing at a very respectful distance but the bears would walk towards us while going about their business and end up about 20 to 25 feet away before the guide would have us quietly and carefully back away to give them space.

The shots I did get with eye contact were a result of staying on my camera, waiting for that moment and taking a lot of shots.

~ Peter

12. dwfaust macrumors 68040

dwfaust

Mermaid Fountain, Parque Central, Antigua Guatemala

antigua-parque-central-mermaid-fountain.jpg

13. cyclocommuter macrumors newbie

cyclocommuter

14. kenoh macrumors demi-god

kenoh

Lol hang on... Yogi me a ban for a wee booboo like that? It was nearly a joke! Come on paws for a minute and think about it. It was funny... :)

15. anotherscotsman macrumors 65816

Peter, razor-sharp as always. You always seem to capture great facial expressions too - really brings them to life.

16. gaswerks, Oct 1, 2016

gaswerks macrumors 6502

at the wolf sanctuary ... unfortunately caught a bit of the fence wire and blew out the bottom

pic.JPG

17. anotherscotsman macrumors 65816

Doesn't spoil it at all: I think it actually helps draw attention to the eyes. Who is watching who? Nice in B&W

18. kenoh macrumors demi-god

kenoh

I couldnt even see the wire. Love the picture. Fantastic capture of the wolf's face. Great use of DoF to keep the focus and the underbrush etc just serves to nicely frame it. Nice...
    Always sad when a landmark is destroyed, no matter what the reason.

19. Cheese&Apple macrumors 68000

Cheese&Apple

I have to agree with AFB...you're barred for unbearable behaviour.

Thanks very much anotherscotsman. it was a great experience to be sure and I've just uploaded a few of the shots from this trip for prints on canvas.

~ Peter

20. oblomow thread starter macrumors 68020

oblomow

the last shot of the church
    what's your opinion of a b/w version?
    [​IMG]

21. kenoh macrumors demi-god

kenoh

Yep... another step up IMHO.

22. dwfaust macrumors 68040

dwfaust

I'm a huge fan of B/W photography for the right image. This one really works...

23. fcortese macrumors demi-god

fcortese

Sunset tonight. Taken from my front porch with my iPhone 6. The 7 is on it's way!

IMG_0626.JPG

24. Hughmac macrumors demi-god

Hughmac