Photo or Video...

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Dukey, Feb 12, 2012.

1. Dukey macrumors member

Hey there all,

This is just thoughts I had, please feel free to share your ideas to this discussion.

So I've been taking photos for a couple of years now, particularly being moved by photo-journalism, street and some fashion. I study it, breathe it, inspired by it.

I also like to take video, writing and shooting short films, documenting events recording interesting aspects of life.

I respect and am inspired by both mediums in their own way, however, there are times where i question whether I should document a subject through video or photography.

For instance, I was shooting a big protest, there were people getting arrested, fights etc. I had both my video camera and photo camera with me and though I consider myself primarily a photographer, there were definitely moments when I knew that capturing an event on video would be a lot more powerful than a photograph.

I spend about 9hours switching between camera and video camera and the photos i took were good but not amazing and my video footage was okay but nothing grand. I can't help but think that if I had one medium that day how much better the outcome could have been but at the same time I am glad to have shot both...

I see myself being torn between the two mediums every so often. I understand (or I think I do) the power of an image and the power of a footage, however, my brain can't help but be indecisive at times between the two and it just makes me want to do everything.

How do you guys feel about this?

2. simsaladimbamba

I know what you mean, I am myself interested in both, though have a preference for photography.

I once visited a big arse oil refinery and had two cameras and one camcorder.
    In the end I got nothing good to show, as I wasn't focusing on one tool and one way to do things, as my attention was split between shooting video or making photographs.
    If I had only taken my cameras and left the camcorder behind, I definitely would have something good in my hands from that event, and as one can't get into oil refineries that easily, I still regret my choice of tools for that day.

Hopefully I have learned my lesson and will apply the results for my next shooting.

3. Phrasikleia macrumors 601

Phrasikleia

Are you at all career-minded about visual media? If so, you might concentrate your talents on the medium that is most likely to offer a greater return on your investments, namely video. Anyone who is resourceful and hardworking can enjoy a successful career with either photography or video (or even both), but video is probably where the most growth is happening.

I think you're right that trying to "do it all" will often mean falling short across the board. There is a lot be said for specialization.

4. Stiva macrumors newbie

Options

Equipment in either photography or video is expensive for the good items.

I've just bought a Canon 5D Mk II (Nikon has two models out) which do HD Movie. Its not Video Camera equivalent, as you have to set the parameters on the camera (ISO, TV/AV etc), and you can fiddle with lots of things. So you've got a very specific video option, which means you carry only one chunk of hardware around and it takes less than 1 second to switch between stills and video. The failing with it is that you don't get auto-focus, you set the focus, and unless you use the manual focus ring, your focus stays at the original setting

But for me, I can carry on the photography I enjoy with great pictures, and experiment and produce credible video.

Thanks for reading

5. firestarter macrumors 603

firestarter

6. driftless macrumors demi-god

driftless

That was an interesting article by Dan Chung, I read it when it first came out. Couple that with the increasingly video component of still cameras, compact through pro, along with www.bythom.com/'s comments that DSLR's have maxed out, and it makes you wonder. I am not photo nor video pro but I do have two friends who do, unrelated, short films, features, etc. All of my still photo friends are avocational or artists. Not sure if the later pays the bills or just satisfies the soul.

7. Dukey thread starter macrumors member

Yea it is an interesting article and it does give a point to where we are headed in this new day and age. While Dan Chung went through a bit of a career change, I am at a point in my life that I am still learning about my career and looking for a path to a successful and happy future while trying to grow as an artist. I am recent college graduate and have been working/learning within the mediums of photography, video, film production and video editing.

It seems that Dan Chung converted to video not because of a change of artisitic view but as a means of survival. He says things like "I took a strategic decision to get more into video and it’s been reasonably successful.'" and "It wasn’t really a choice at all. The way I look at it is convert or die"

Which is understandable for a man of his age and experience, however, for me, I wouldn't want to convert or change to a new medium primarily for money. I understand why he did it and hope he is happy but the article didn't really explain the change of ideas in video and photojournalism but more so of the demand. None the less Dan Chung's interview was definitely a new and good perspective and is definitely something to keep an eye out for the future.

8. mofunk macrumors 68000

mofunk

You can get a DSLR and attach a video camera on top. (If that's your question) I shoot a lot of concerts, and sometimes I want to flip my DSLR to video cause I'm sitting in a sweet spot and the sound is just perfect for a clip. btw working with a musician so it's legal.

But anyway you can attach a camera onto your Flash sync and shoot both. Only problem is the video is rolling while you are shooting... you have to remember to pause it when you remove your camera from your eye.

Use a Contour Camera

http://contour.com/products

http://froknowsphoto.com/contourroam-project/

9. fitshaced macrumors 68000

fitshaced

I think you'd have been more successful if you chose one medium for the day and stuck with it. I'd say the one to choose would be the one you feel strongest with. Trying to decide which medium suits which situation puts a lot of pressure on you. If you make that decision before the situation arises, then the pressure is simply about making what you have work. Having too many options will probably compromise your results.

10. h00ligan macrumors 68030

The future is video in most cases. Due to the add nature of the masses. I still prefer photography but one can't expect to earn a living moving forward without video.