Photo portfolio gallery??

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by Fiasco, May 13, 2008.

1. Fiasco macrumors regular

Fiasco

I am working on my portfolio website at the moment, and am stumped trying to find an easy way to handle the actual portfolio part of the website.

So far I've thought of using photoshop or lightroom to render a simple gallery, but then how would I integrate that into my site design? I would like it all to have a coherent look and feel throughout the website.

Any ideas for a relatively simple way to incorporate a photo gallery into an existing site design?

2. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

I don't have any links on hand, but I've seen PHP scripts that will turn a directory full of images and turn it into a gallery with very little effort. So all you have to do after you're done Photoshopping is upload the images. I'm sure the script can fit into any design.

3. Fiasco thread starter macrumors regular

Fiasco

I don't know much about PHP, but I'll look into this and see if there's anything that will be simple enough for me to use.

FYI... I'm not a coder at all... but willing to learn a little to get the results.

4. netnothing macrumors 68040

netnothing

If you have the ability to install on your web host, you could look at Gallery:
    http://gallery.menalto.com/

You could make it a sub directory of your site.

If you figure out the automated PHP way, let me know.

-Kevin

5. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

6. Fiasco thread starter macrumors regular

Fiasco

I've decided to use autoviewer. Looks the best with my current design, and I didn't know I already have it in Adobe Lightroom. That was a pleasant surprise. :)

I did come across Gallery in my search but hated the look of it, it wasn't something I would want prospective clients to see on my site.

Thanks people.

7. netnothing macrumors 68040

netnothing

Also came across this, just for anyone finding the thread later on:
    http://www.phpwebgallery.net/

I'm sure like Gallery, this can be designed to fit your sites style and layout.

-Kevin

8. Grimace macrumors 68040

Grimace

slideshowpro is the way to go. It can be used with Adobe Flash or as an output from Adobe Lightroom. ESPN uses it, I use it -- what other proof do you need? :p

9. uMac macrumors 6502

10. julianps macrumors member

julianps

A number of options float to mind. The application previously called iView Media Pro (now ExpressionMedia) has the ability to create image galleries and a pretty simply set of tags used to extract data to the gallery. ExpressionMedia comes with a pretty simple set of templates but more, plus a user guide, are available form the old iviewmultimedia.com site.

However this application is now expensive to buy.

As a free altrnative there's another application called Galerie that is highly effective with loads of templates and flexibility, but you might not like the licensing requirements that place a developer link on every page.

If your server has PHP then two more flexible alternatives may be JetPhoto and JAlbum. Both provide a low cost, high-usability alternative to this ever challenging problem.

Now if someone has a simple and effective way to do the same with video that would be really cool...:confused: