photo printers: canon PP9500 vs epson 3880

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by glocke12, Mar 15, 2011.

1. glocke12 macrumors 6502a

glocke12

Been thinking of getting a photo printer for my own use, though after seeing other photogs selling the pics are local art fairs I am also thinking of doing that also.

Ive narrowed it down to the canon pixma pro 9500 mark ii and the epson 3880

Ive talked to some some of the people that sell their photos, and it seems like alot of them use these printers, with one or two using some that are slightly more expensive.

I am slightly biased against epson due to bad experiences in the past, but supposedly the newer ones are much better.

I see myself printing a variety of images on matte and glossy papers, with images ranging from B&W to HDR.

All feedback appreciated. thanks.

2. Photoshopper macrumors regular

Photoshopper

Can highly recommend the 3880, have one at work and at home.
    Had two 4000's before, but constant clogging was a nightmare. Epson has resolved that issue. With proper profiling (e.g. ColorMunki) you will be amazed at the results (assuming a great image file, of course).
    I recently had to reproduce some b&w lithographic-style prints and was able to very finely tune the color cast in the b&w mode.
    Resolution is incredible. If your file has the detail and the print is small, you can output at up to 460ppi, not just 300/360, and see the results at the limits of your visual acuity.

I looked into Canon before getting the new Epsons, but their ink costs were even higher than Epson's, which was unacceptable.