Photo Scanner

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by iBaldy, Mar 24, 2009.

1. iBaldy macrumors newbie

Hi all,
    I'm looking to buy a photo scanner to get some old photos onto my MacBook. I don't want to spend a fortune but would like to get the best for my money (upto £100) also scanning negatives would probably be good.
    I have seen the Epson V300 in my price range,can anyone recommend anything?

Cheers

Ian

2. skybolt macrumors 6502a

I don't know about the Epsons, but I recently scanned over 90 years worth of old family photos into my computer using a Canon (LiDE 60) scanner. The nice thing about it is/was that Canon software provides for "multi-scan" so that you can lay several photos down on the platen at one time and it will scan each to its own file. Very time saving. My particular scanner does not do slides/negatives, but Canon makes some that do. Very reasonably priced, too.

I didn't have much luck with a sheet-fed scanner, as the machine would pull several photos at once, rather than only one at a time. And, I could only put a few (6-10) in the feeder at one time. Quicker to do with my Canon.

One piece of advice I can give based on posts on various forums is to use the "color" settings for Black & White photos (if you are scanning B&W) rather than the B&W settings. Some folks have reported that B&W photos have had problems showing up, and since I never did reset from "color" I had no problems at all.

Good luck!

3. iBaldy thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply.
    I have also seen the Epson 4490 which seems good