Photo sequence in Flash

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by Dal123, Jan 2, 2009.

1. Dal123 macrumors 6502a

Dal123

I'm trying to build my own website, maybe I'm trying to much too soon but ideally I would like different photo's being displayed in a sequence (As a movie) so it is continually being displayed. This actually has an example in the help files of flash as a car then changes to picture of wheel then another view of car.
    Only availabe to open as a file and no text help on this movie. Looks like it works by a few different 'key frames'. Do not know anything else. I know it is possible to do this but don't know how. Have bought two different books on flash; this is not covered. How can I do this, it would be so cool to know how to do it.
    Thanks

2. snickelfritz macrumors 65816

snickelfritz

This sort of thing is fairly simple to set up using an actionscript tweening class.
    I recommend TweenLite.
    If you are using Flash CS3 or CS4, use Actionscript 3.0.

3. JG271 macrumors 6502a

JG271

You can do it in an easier way - except things can't be automatically changed. Put a picture on each keyframe, then click break apart, then create a keyframe for the start and finish of the transition, with the same image as the "still" then right click and do create tween.
    Sorry if this is a bit hard to understand, let me know if you want me to email you a sample file or whatever.

Attached Files:

4. Dal123 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Dal123

Cheers

Thanks for your responses people. JG271 hope you don't mind added you to my buddies list, if you could email me further detail about this it would be greatly appreciated.
    Tried to send you a private message with my email don't know how on this site. It would be great to learn how to use the program a bit more an understand it.
    I have tried putting different pics on layers in different keyframes; they just change the whole picture all the way throughout the animation. I assume I'm going wrong on 'break apart'. Or action script.
    If needed I will post my email here if no-one can tell me how to send my email to you. Obviously would try to avoid this.
    Thanks again, so happy someone can help me with this.

5. naevol macrumors newbie

6. Dal123 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Dal123

Thanks, capzles could come in very handy. For this effect I'd like to learn to use flash properly and what JG271 is talking about is exactly what I wanna do. Did wonder how to do what you suggested though so your input is much appreciated.

7. JG271 macrumors 6502a

JG271

8. Dal123 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Dal123

Help Please

Thanks for input.
    Can anyone give detailed instructions on how to do this? I have spent around 8-10 hours trying to do this. Changing every little possible detail; searching different possible options. I just can't manage to get it working.
    Best I've had is to just create a 'transition out' on one layer.

9. samwich macrumors regular

Sounds like you want a couple photos in flash, then have them crossfade into one another? I really hope that's it, because I think I am going to give pretty detailed instructions...

If that is correct:

It will be easier if all your photos are the same height/width (do this in photoshop)
    Fire up flash
    press command j to open up the document properties and set the stage size to the size of your photos
    go to the file menu and scroll down to import
    choose import to library
    select the photos you wish to use
    now back to the timeline
    rename layer one to the name of your photo
    click on the name of your photo in the library and drag it out onto the stage
    you should now see your first photo on the stage
    align it so it fits in the stage (the white area)
    select the photo
    go to modify->convert to symbol
    select movie clip from the drop down menu
    name it accordingly
    press ok
    on the layer that has the photo go out to frame 24ish and right click on the frame
    choose insert keyframe
    now go 12 more frames out (frame 36) and right click and press insert keyframe
    drag the timeline to frame 36 so you are at that point in time
    click on the image on the stage (your first photo)
    in the properties palette click the color effect drop down and choose alpha
    drag the slider to 0, your image should disappear
    right click on one of the frames in between 24 and 36, let's say 30
    choose create motion tween
    if you scrub the timeline between these frames, you should see the image fading out
    now create a new layer (maybe hide the first layer to make things easier)
    drag your next photo onto the stage
    select your second photo and go to modify->convert to symbol
    choose movieclip again and press ok
    create keyframes at 24 36 and 60
    go to frame one and select your second photo and delete it
    go to frame 24 and go to color effect->alpha and drag the slider to 0
    right click on a frame in between 24 and 36 and press insert create tween
    (if your other layer is hidden) and you scrub the timeline you should see your second photo fading in
    if you unhide the other layer you should see a crossfade

press command + return to test/render your movie

enjoy

rinse and repeat for additional photos, with these concepts in mind you should be able to make it a continuous loop
    if you have any questions about this, I recommend google and the flash documentation

10. Dal123 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Dal123

Samwich,

Thanks mate, that's got it sorted now. Motion Tween is what was causing me problems. Thanks for your input; and everyone else. Couldn't have done it without your help.

Big pat on the back for all of you.

11. samwich macrumors regular

Hey no problem, sounds like you got it to work. Happy to help.

12. Dal123 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Dal123

Software to Compress a video

So I converted it to a quicktime movie; only trouble is it's about 30MB so waiting for it to load up takes ages and seeing though its an email chasing work they won't wanna read I need to compress the file.
    I went to order quicktime pro from apple which will have the capability of compressing a file. However they post it from america and I can't really wait that long. What other software will compress this movie file. Or any other I can save in Flash that will not be too big. I tried sending an FLA. file which was small but it tried to load it in adobe illustrator and no joy.