Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tiggle

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 31, 2006
Hong Kong
When I open a raw file from my Nikon D80 in photoshop, the camera raw dialogue box is very small and only contains adjustments for exposure and white balance. This seems very different from what I have seen on the web, where there are many adjustments that can be made. I thought that my raw plug in maybe out of date, so I have dowloaded the latest plug in that covers the D80. It does say that this is for CS2 however and I am using CS. THe dialogue box has been the same with the original and the new plug in, it has not changed.

Any advice?

Thanks.

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
tiggle said:
When I open a raw file from my Nikon D80 in photoshop, the camera raw dialogue box is very small and only contains adjustments for exposure and white balance. This seems very different from what I have seen on the web, where there are many adjustments that can be made. I thought that my raw plug in maybe out of date, so I have dowloaded the latest plug in that covers the D80. It does say that this is for CS2 however and I am using CS. THe dialogue box has been the same with the original and the new plug in, it has not changed.

Any advice?

Thanks.

You likely loaded the Nikon plug-in from the CD that came with the camera. Nikon's converter is better at converting raw, but it doesn't offer the adjustments of the Adobe one in the PS plug-in.

If you want the best results, and can stand the extra time/cost, I'd suggest looking at CaptureNX as a converter. Otherwise, you'll probably need to move the Nikon plug-in out of CS's plug-in directory to get the original Adobe interface.

http://www.earthboundlight.com/phototips/adobe-camera-raw-problems.html

tiggle

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 31, 2006
Hong Kong
Wow thanks for that. I just tried it.
After removing the Nikon plug ins it said....
The camera raw 3.6 beta is not supported by the program

When I put in the latest plug in for CS...2.4 i think...it said that the file was not regogised.

I put back the Nikon plugins and all worked as normal again.

So it seems that only the newest versions of photo shop will open the newest cameras. This seems scandalous to me. I may be wrong on this.,but it seems that they are not making updated ACR plugins for older versions..they only work with the newest versions.

So to use ACR with my D80 I need to upgrade. I am not planning to upgrade until CS3 when it will be universal binary and I get a new intel mac.
I have tried to dowload the MAC version of NX..but cannot manage to get connected to it from the nikon website.

I guess my nikon plugin will do until next year..lol

Thanks very much for your help.

John T

macrumors 68020
Mar 18, 2006
UK.
I had the same problem with my Canon 30D. Adobe don't support RAW for later cameras on CS. When I 'phoned Adobe I was told I'd have to change to CS2 or use "Elements v4.0" for the Mac! :mad:

beavo451

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2006
tiggle said:

When I put in the latest plug in for CS...2.4 i think...it said that the file was not regogised.

So it seems that only the newest versions of photo shop will open the newest cameras. This seems scandalous to me. I may be wrong on this.,but it seems that they are not making updated ACR plugins for older versions..they only work with the newest versions.

So to use ACR with my D80 I need to upgrade. I am not planning to upgrade until CS3 when it will be universal binary and I get a new intel mac.
I have tried to dowload the MAC version of NX..but cannot manage to get connected to it from the nikon website.

The current ACR beta supports the D80. I have personally opened D80 files with it. However it would appear from your experience that it does indeed only work in CS2 and not CS. As for not supporting older programs, that is a business decision on Adobe and I don't see many vendors supporting obsolete versions of their products.

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
tiggle said:

I've downloaded the NX software at least twice (once to try it out as an upgrade and again after the 1.0.1 upgrade for the 2.0 DX2 firmware because the updater didn't update my in use copy.) Here's the jump page for the download:

http://www.nikonimaging.com/global/products/software/capturenx/nxsp/download.htm

and here's the pick page for the one I got for the Americas:

http://support.nikontech.com/cgi-bi...rods=422C298&p_pv=2.298&p_cats=185&p_cv=1.185

clintob

macrumors 6502
Feb 16, 2006
New York, NY
CS2 has awesome RAW support, if you can afford the upgrade it's well worth it (not to mention it's LIGHT YEARS more stable and efficient than CS was with fonts, large files, etc).

If you can't afford CS2, get yourself a copy of Aperture, or if you can't afford that, download Adobe Lightbox Beta for free. The downside to RAW (the non-universal acceptance right now) is far outweighed by the image quality and flexibility it gives you in a good editing environment.

tiggle

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 31, 2006
Hong Kong
Thanks for all the responses.

I wouldn't really call Photoshop CS obsolete! But I guess that may be a matter of semantics. The reason I don't want to upgrade yet is that CS2 is not universal binary, and so when I buy a new mack next year, I will need to pay an upgrade fee again to go to CS3. It makes more sense to wait for CS3 and get the computer and CS suite at the same time. I get educational prices which are a substantial discount on the original prices.

A further question though. Is there much that I could be doing in ACR that is better done in that program or cannot be done in photoshop?
Thanks again all.

tiggle

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 31, 2006
Hong Kong
I got this response on the Nikonians forum. Hope it is helpful.

The is no need to update from PS/CS to PS/CS2 just to access new NEF flavors. Adobe offers a free converter to allow access to RAW formats supported in ACR 3.x (CS2) that aren't supported in ACR 2.x (CS).
Simply download the "DNG Converter with ACR 3.6" from Adobe's site. This tool is a stand alone application will batch convert proprietary RAW formats, such a Nikon's NEF formats, to Adobe's "standard" DNG RAW format. The resulting DNGs can be opened and processed in PS/CS with ACR 2.2 and higher (its best to get v2.4, the last 2.x version). You get the full set of controls offered in ACR 2.x when processing the DNGs. True, its an additional step, but it is free.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.