Photo Storage

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by patseguin, Feb 3, 2014.

1. patseguin macrumors 65816

patseguin

Sorry if this is the wrong forum but it applies to all devices. I noticed that my phone has 3GB of space taken for photos. I could have sworn I could store my whole library on the cloud. Is that not true?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

When you take a picture with your phone that picture is stored in your camera roll on your phone, as well as being sent to the cloud.

3. Salvor Hardin macrumors regular

No any photo taken or saved is stored on the device, Photostream is only for keeping photos synched between your devices it only stores the last 30 days of pics on iCloud.
    Dropbox's camera upload feature is probably what you want, it will upload your pictures in the background automatically.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

That's not entirely true. Photo stream will store photos for much longer than 30 days. That only applies to "My Photo Stream", and many times even that will store them for a much longer period. I have photos in my "My Photo Stream" that are several months old. Any other photo streams that you create will store pictures for as long as you want, with a maximum of 1000 pictures in each photo stream.

Also, uploading pictures, either to photostream or to dropbox, will not remove the pictures from the Camera Roll on the iPhone, so storage will still be consumed on the phone unless you delete those pictures from the Camera Roll.

5. charlituna macrumors G3

charlituna

Not exactly true. iCloud doesn't store the photos in the iCloud. It's more of a limited sync. They are still on your device. Perhaps even twice.

But the photo steam is only good for a limited number and time. You will still see them on your device in photo stream, even to the tune of a couple thousand if you have the space. But restore or get a new device and only the newest 1000 will be there to come back

Now you can set up shared streams of up to 1000 photos and videos, up to 100 streams. They stay up in the iCloud system. However the copy on your phone is still local and takes up space

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

That is only true for "My Photo Stream". All other photo streams have no time limit.
    The maximum that can be stored in any photo stream is 1,000.
    Photos only. You cannot add videos to a photo stream.

7. patseguin thread starter macrumors 65816

patseguin

Well, very few are taken with my phone. I have a DSLR camera and do post work and then import photos into iPhoto. I had hoped there was a way to store and sync photos via cloud. I do use Dropox but then I would have to use that app and not iPhoto or the photo app to look at them right?

8. Stuke00 macrumors 68000

You can put videos in shared photo streams.

9. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Please explain how. When I follow the instructions to add photos or videos to a shared stream and browse to select a video from my Camera Roll, it only shows photos. It doesn't show any videos to select. Also, if I try to select a video first and press the Share button, my only options are Mail, Message or YouTube. If I click "Add To" my only choices are to add to a new or existing album.

10. Stuke00 macrumors 68000

I just tried it on my phone. See screenshot

Attached Files:

11. Stuke00 macrumors 68000

I went to the photostream and hit the + button too. I hit albums in the bottom right and then videos.. I see my videos just fine.

----------

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4858 This may help. This page outlines the limitations of the service.

12. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I don't doubt that it works for you. I've never seen the capability. I'm on iOS 6, but that shouldn't matter, according to the instructions. Whenever I look through my Camera Roll in the process of adding, it omits videos from the available items to upload.

13. Stuke00 macrumors 68000

It probably falls within the limitations I posted above.

14. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

The ability to add videos to a shared stream is specific to iOS 7. Source is the iOS 7 Keynote from WWDC last June.

15. patseguin thread starter macrumors 65816

patseguin

So will Drop box synced photos show up in the photos app on the iOS device or do you have to go to the Dropbox app?

16. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Photos in Dropbox are viewed with the Dropbox app, unless you elect to download them into your Camera Roll. The good news is they can be viewed in the Dropbox app without taking up space on your iPhone OS device.

17. patseguin thread starter macrumors 65816

patseguin

So, I guess I can't store photos in the cloud and access them in the photos app like music and iTunes. I want to be able to view my 3GB of pictures but not take up space on my phone. My phone is 32GB and space is tight but my iPad is 128 so I'm not as constrained.

18. charlituna macrumors G3

charlituna

http://support.apple.com/kb/PH12070

19. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

No. Apple doesn't support that service.

Photos app photos take up space locally as well as in the cloud.

Try DropBox, Picasa/G+, Box.net, Flickr, or many other cloud photo options.

I like Picasa/G+ and the Web Albums app personally.

20. Poontaco macrumors regular

FYI, Two things:
    The 1,000 photo limit does not apply to custom photo streams.
    Also, photo stream pictures still take up space, even when you have deleted all locally stored images. (I have over 5Gb of photo stream photos)

21. Angelo921 macrumors 6502

Will Dropbox actually keep your photos synched? For example if it uploads my camera roll and then I go into my camera roll and delete a couple pics, will those pics also automatically delete from Dropbox also? If not do you know an app that will do exactly that?

22. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

No, Dropbox does not sync with your Camera Roll.

23. Angelo921 macrumors 6502

Do you know of any app that will sync with my camera roll other than icloud?

24. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

None that I'm aware of. Why not use iCloud?

25. Angelo921 macrumors 6502

because i have too may pics and videos and i dont want to pay for additional storage.