Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xgame

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 17, 2012
I just got my new iPhone 5s and have everything set up and signed in. On my old iPhone 4S, my photo stream is maxed out at the limit of 1000 photos. But for some reason, my iPhone 5s only shows the last 73. It's been like that for a few days now.

Is there a way to see all the photos on my 5S

bgro

macrumors 65816
Jul 6, 2010
South Florida
I just got my new iPhone 5s and have everything set up and signed in. On my old iPhone 4S, my photo stream is maxed out at the limit of 1000 photos. But for some reason, my iPhone 5s only shows the last 73. It's been like that for a few days now.

Is there a way to see all the photos on my 5S

This happened to 2 people I know when they got new phones. Tried restoring and nothing worked

xgame

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 17, 2012
This happened to 2 people I know when they got new phones. Tried restoring and nothing worked

Yeah, but I've noticed that those 1000 pics are stored on the phone itself because I can access them even without internet. I can't believe I never noticed that before. Apple says pics are only stored in the cloud for 30 days, so it makes sense that only very recent pics are there on my new phone because the others are just stored ON my old phone.

I think the way it all works is more complex than it seems.

Puonti

macrumors 68000
Mar 14, 2011
Based on recent updates to Apple's documentation, it seems they realized this and changed how Photo Streams work from iOS 7's release onwards. You can read more about it on the page below, but in short Photo Streams no longer have the time limit they used to. The way I understand this change the issue you're seeing now shouldn't happen again with photos posted to Photo Streams since the change (I'm not sure if it applies retroactively to older photos).

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4858

Apple Fan 21

macrumors regular
Oct 29, 2012
I have the same issue. All 900 pics in my photo stream are on my Mac and on my iPad 2 which is updated w/ iOS 7, but my new 5S only shows 50 pics. What gives? Any solution?

markhort

macrumors 68000
Aug 28, 2010
UK
This happened to me when I upgraded. Lucky I had a back up of all my photo's on Dropbox.

funnyboy88

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2009
iCloud's servers only store the last 30 DAYS of photos. When you setup your new iPhone, it only downloaded whatever 30 days worth of photos were sitting on iCloud.

AFTER your iOS device has downloaded from Photo Stream, it will store up to 1000 photos.
Your Mac or PC doesn't have the 1000 limit.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4486

richard13

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2008
Odessa, FL
Photo Stream is one of the most confusing concepts I've ever encountered in the Apple ecosystem. I have a few questions:

I have 160 photos in Photo Stream in iPhoto on my MBP, but almost 600 in My Photo Stream on my iPhone. Shouldn't these be the same?

In iPhoto, the location called "Photo Stream" under "Web" is not actually what is stored in iCloud but a local copy downloaded into iPhoto. Correct?

Presuming that's true, and if iOS devices have a rolling cache of 1000 photos in Photo Stream, what do Macs have in OSX? 1000? No limit? This "Photo Stream" location will just keep getting bigger and bigger?

If there is no limit to how big the "Photo Stream" location can get, why are these monthly "archive" events getting created? (i.e. September 2013 Photo Stream, October 2013 Photo Stream).

I guess I have to launch iPhoto at least once a month or these monthly events won't get created, correct? I don't have any monthly events prior to April 2013 although I've been using Photo Stream long before that.

Thanks to anyone that help me on this.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.