Photo Stream not working - or do I not understand how it works?

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by desertman, Apr 26, 2014.

1. desertman macrumors 6502a

I'm not sure whether I do not understand how Photo Stream (between my iPhone and Aperture on my Mac) is supposed to work. It is activated both on my iPhone and on my Mac.

When I take pictures with my iPhone these pictures show at first only in Camera Roll in Photos up. It seems to take hours if not days until they show up in My Photo Stream as well and then even later in Aperture on my Mac - unless I open Camera Roll and look at the pictures there, then the pictures seem to move immediately to My Photo Stream and from there to Aperture. The whole thing happens like this in my house where the iPhone is connected all the time to my wireless network.

Is it normal that it takes hours if not days until pictures taken on an iPhone show up in Aperture, or do I do something wrong here?

2. MonstaMash macrumors regular

MonstaMash

Something might be up with your home wireless network. Trying connecting to a different wireless connection elsewhere. Take some photos and see how long they take to appear in your Photostream on your iPhone.

3. dlaxague macrumors newbie

I've been trying to figure out why some photos go to photo stream and some stay in camera roll and never get to photo stream. On the apple forums (which I still can't log into, I get into this endless "choose username", "already have an account" loop, argg, another issue).

Anyway, the only thing among the various troubleshooting suggestions that seems like it might be at work in my problem is that one person said if you take a photo from the lock screen (swiping up on the camera icon without entering your password), then THOSE photos don't go to photo stream. I've played with that and it seems to be true. If this is the issue, it seems there should be a setting to later (signed in) approve the photos for transfer to photo stream. I'm not absolutely sure it explains what's been happening, because I had not previously paid any attention to whether I've opened my phone or not -- but I will be paying attention, now!

4. sbailey4 macrumors 68030

sbailey4

Not totally accurate. The photos wont move to Photostream until you unlock your device and connect to wifi. Then they will still go automatically. Mine does so within seconds. I can watch photos (on device) and see photostream populate then within seconds PC photostream populates. Delete from phone and PC will delete within seconds as well. So not sure what the OP issue is unless some Wifi issue.

5. dlaxague macrumors newbie

But mine don't (go automatically, or ever), that's the problem. Some photos just sit there in camera roll forever and never go to photostream. This happens when I have great wifi (and with different wifis).

I had not been paying any attention to whether I was taking the photos when the phone was locked or unlocked, until today. Today I've tested it repeatedly and the ones I took from the lock screen are sitting in camera roll (only) still, while the ones taken after unlocking the phone went almost-immediately to photo stream.

Maybe it's a fluke of some phones and not others? I have an iPhone 4S with 7.1.1.

6. sbailey4 macrumors 68030

sbailey4

Interesting indeed. Mine is a 4s running 7.1.1 as well. Does not seem to matter if lock or unlock. Although if locked they dont go until you unlock then within moments after unlocking they appear. Maybe sign out of iCloud, reboot and log back in may help??

7. dlaxague macrumors newbie

Interesting. I tried this. Then when I opened the "photos" screen, it spent a long time on a white screen that said "iCloud updating library" (which I've never noticed before), or something like that. And now (knock wood), it seems that my phone/photostream is behaving as you describe above (correctly).

Not sure if it was the rebooting (which I've done many times) or the signing out of iCloud, but whatever -- success is good.
    Thanks!