Photo Stream very buggy on Apple TV 4

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by machpost, Dec 4, 2015.

1. machpost macrumors 6502

machpost

I use Photo Stream (as opposed to iCloud Photo Library), and when I launch the Photos app on my Apple TV 4, most of the time I get the message that I have no photos to display. Only after backing out of the app and going back in multiple times, or after closing the app by double-clicking the home button, will my Photo Stream show up. Has anyone else experienced this behavior? And is there a fix yet?

2. Surf Monkey macrumors 68020

Surf Monkey

Much of this buggy behavior was present on the ATV3 too. The problem seems to be on Apple's side. I haven't had iCloud Photos/Photo Stream work right for over a year.

3. machpost thread starter macrumors 6502

machpost

Hmmm, I never had any problems on my previous Apple TVs, but it's a consistent issue on the new one.

4. le.bouch macrumors member

le.bouch

I mainly use iCloud Photo Library but still have Photostream turned on, even though I hate it!

On my ATV3's I would consistently get only around 200 photos to show on Photostream. No matter what I tried it never worked right - I gave up on it in the end.

I was so looking forward to the 'Photos' app on the ATV4, expecting it to be a mirror of the iOS and OS X 'Photos' app.

Big disappointment.

For now I'm using a shared folder from Photos on my iMac to display on the ATV4. It's clunky but it works.

Photostream, on the other hand, seems to appear on the ATV4 when it feels like it. It's a mess.

5. benjitek macrumors 6502a

benjitek

I found access photos from my MacBook via Home Sharing was the fastest and least problematic method.

6. machpost thread starter macrumors 6502

machpost

It's a small sample size, but after briefly playing around with my Apple TV after updating to tvOS 9.1, my Photo Stream photos now pop up immediately after launching the Photos app. Let's hope it stays this way.

7. digduggler macrumors regular

9.1 seems to have fixed a VERY buggy photos app. My streams rarely worked before and now they pop right up (fingers crossed)...

8. dcaccount macrumors regular

I have upgraded to 9.1 but nevertheless photo stream does not work.

It shows just a few photos among all taken, along with tons of empty boxes.

On the iPad and iPhone, photo stream works flawlessly.

Has anyone a solution?
    Thanks,
    Daniele

9. digduggler macrumors regular

I've found if you force quit the app (it usually takes twice) it eventually updates.

10. dcaccount macrumors regular

Thanks for replying.

How can I force quit the app?

Daniele

11. KeyMs92 macrumors regular

I'll just wait until they add iCloud photo library the Apple TV. I can't be bothered with photo stream.

12. digduggler macrumors regular

Click the home button twice. You'll see all of your apps like you would on your phone. Toggle to photos and swipe up.

13. d21mike macrumors 68040

d21mike

Can not believe we are still waiting.

14. cipher29 macrumors regular

The fact that Apple can't figure out a way to extract photos from a shared photo album, parse out images, create a thumbnail and properly display it quickly blows my mind... Photos on the Apple TV just doesn't work properly at all.. 95% of my photos are a white box with a cloud in the middle of it. Screensaver only uses a handful of pictures out of an album and trying to do a slideshow of an album typically results in a spinning wheel that never actually does anything.

How in the hell in 2015/2016 does product make it out of the door like this ....