Photo Stream

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by pmtm2, Feb 24, 2012.

1. pmtm2 macrumors member

So i just bought am i phone 4 and i want to use my photo stream can i just update my i photo to the version 9.2.1 or do i have to upgrade to lion. Really don't want to upgrade to lion like Snow leopard a lot.. So if i upgrade just my i photo will that do the job?

2. simsaladimbamba

3. pmtm2 thread starter macrumors member

I cloud does come stock on lion but you can also use it by going to icloud.com everything is there but photo stream which is a part of iphoto which does not come stock on lion. http://www.apple.com/macosx/specs.html

4. simsaladimbamba

While iPhoto does not come stock with Lion, it comes with every Mac you buy from Apple or other vendors, and as iCloud is a feature of Lion, and Photo Stream is a feature of iCloud, I guess it will only work in Lion. But I only guess, as I myself have not updated to Lion.
    To find out yourself, you could upgrade your iPhoto version and see, if that works.

5. jamesarm97 macrumors 65816

Question about iPhoto (on mac) and photo stream. I am finding myself talking photos and actually syncing them to the mac less (required plugging in the cable). I see photostream integrated with Lion and iPhoto but have a question on how it operates. There is an option in iPhone to automatically add new photos *from* the stream to the iPhoto Library. The question would be is this transparent and done by the OS (lion) or does iPhoto have to be open? I see there is a photostream helper app running all the time in activity monitor. I don't use iPhoto regularly but would like to know that my photos can be taken from the stream and added to my computer library so I don't loose them if they 1000 most recent bumps off some old ones.

So iphoto has to be open to do the auto import from photostream or not?