Photo syncing problem

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by acousticbiker, Mar 31, 2009.

1. acousticbiker macrumors 6502

I've got a particular photo on my iPhone's Camera Roll that does not sync over to iPhoto during iTunes sync. Other photos that I've taken sync just fine but just not this particular one. Is there any way to 'manually' transfer a photo from the Camera Roll to iPhoto?

2. Bluisnblklungs macrumors member

3. acousticbiker thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks. Yes, I've tried this but a lower res version (about 200k vs the usual 700+k file size) gets sent.

4. Bluisnblklungs macrumors member

Ok, have you tried taking a screen shot of the photo?

5. acousticbiker thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks. I did try that and it just captures a lower res version of the actual photo.

6. cal6n macrumors 68000

cal6n

I don't think the photos are supposed to be transferred from the iPhone to the computer during the iTunes sync. You need to import the photos into iPhoto directly. Open iPhoto with your phone attached and you should see its icon in the devices section.

Be careful though. If you import the photo into iPhoto then the full-size version will be on your Mac, but if you sync that photo back to your phone, I think it'll be a small version. I could be wrong but, if you want the full version on your phone, you have to leave the original there!

7. DenniZ macrumors 6502a

Yeah that's it, all photos being synced back to your phone are "optimized" for your phone (smaller res). They stay on your phone at 100% original quality and size.

8. acousticbiker thread starter macrumors 6502

I should have bit a bit clearer. Yes, my problem has nothing to do with the iTunes sync part (I understand how those photos are formatted 'down' to the iPhone'). But I just want to get my original photo from the Camera Roll to iPhoto.

9. cal6n macrumors 68000

cal6n

As long as the photo is actually on the camera roll, you should be able to treat the iPhone like any other digital camera. Open iPhoto with your iPhone attached via USB and you should see its icon in the devices section on the left of the app. Then it's just a question of selecting the required photos and importing them. And as stated earlier, if you want to keep the full size picture on your phone, then don't let iPhoto "delete originals".

If this doesn't work for you, I don't know what else to suggest.

10. acousticbiker thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks. Yes, I'm familiar with the usual process and this has worked for every photo of mine except this particular one that stays on my Camera Roll and never is acknowledged with a thumbprint in iPhoto. That's the issue I'm trying to resolve...

11. cal6n macrumors 68000

cal6n

Sorry, but it wasn't clear from your post that you were aware of the usual methods. A bit more info may help someone here to help you.

What iPhone OS, Mac OS and iPhoto versions are you running and what type is your Mac?

Is this picture a camera photo, a Mobile Safari download or a Mail attachment? (not a silly question, as they all end up in the same place!)

Have you made sure that the "Hide photos already imported" box is unchecked on the iPhoto import screen? (If you don't even get to see your import screen, just take a random photo with your iPhone and try again)

Have you tried using "Image Capture" for the import rather than iPhoto?

12. acousticbiker thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks so much...that did it!!!