Photo Transferring Issue

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Trainwreck707, Nov 6, 2010.

1. Trainwreck707 macrumors member

I have a basic Cannon Powershot point-and-click camera and have had a strange issue when transferring photos to my computer. I am using the software that came with the camera, Camera Window. I recently transferred some duplicate photos and noticed that they have different sizes and previews from the same ones I already transferred. The Finder shows different file sizes while Preview shows them being the same. Could the originals have an embedded preview that is causing the larger file sizes? Any other explanations?

I'm going to get a card reader later, I'm just wondering which copy of the photos to keep.

Screen shot 2010-11-06 at 12.06.28 PM.png

Screen shot 2010-11-06 at 12.11.26 PM.png

Screen shot 2010-11-06 at 12.12.29 PM.png

2. Designer Dale macrumors 68040

Designer Dale

The pixel dimensions on 2535 are the same in all your views. The only difference is around 100K and that is probably from a thumbnail that has been added to the original that isn't in the copy. I'd stick with the originals, but keep those copy files in a seperate folder until you know more about what's going on.

Dale

3. bzollinger macrumors 6502a

bzollinger

That's good advice, keep the originals. That will also keep your file names consistant with your other images too.