Photo viewer for Mac

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by mikegml, Oct 24, 2013.

1. mikegml macrumors member

Is there an equivalent of Windows photo viewer for the mac? I don't want to edit images in it, I just want to view in full screen and to go forward and back thought the images, with simple options to 'view at 100%' 'flip left/right', 'enlarge' etc. This is not big difficult stuff right?

I've played with iphoto and dislike it enough to delete it, you can download free apps better than iphoto. I've tried both preview and quick look but don't like them at all. If I select an image it always opens in 'preview' but the 'previous/next icons are always blacked out? Why?

If I use 'quick look' I can move forward/back using the keyboard but it never opens full screen, it always opens to the 'fit screen size' and then really irritatingly jumps about in size all over the place depending on the next image size. It's ok if I drag it to full screen, after which it acts pretty much like windows viewer except there are no options to open an image in an editing app, view at 100%, enlarge, flip left/right etc.

In short it's a poor viewer, I guess that's why it's called quick look uh? You get a quick look and that's it. Is there some amazing mac facility that I'm missing here? I could just about live with 'quick look' if it always opened full screen but can't see any way to do this.

2. ilfn143 macrumors 6502

go to the folder you want to view hit cmd + A to select all images and right click open in preview.

3. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Try out Xee from the App Store. Pretty nice image viewer for $3.99.

4. nissan.gtp macrumors 6502

agree, it's really good

5. mikegml, Oct 25, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2013

mikegml thread starter macrumors member

Thanks

But this is still a PITA compared to windows photo viewer, I have to do this on every folder?

I saw the option to have preview be the default when I selected a folder to view, but is there anyway to have preview launch automatically on clicking any image in a folder without having to jump through hoops to do it?

6. mikegml thread starter macrumors member

Thanks.

I've done this, seems no better than preview, it also opens in a small window like preview. I have a pathological hatred of any window that's not full screen.

Plus I have to do the cmd+a thing with the folder to select XEE then single click to go full screen, that's way too much work.

Sorry but Bill Gates has got this one right. Just click on any folder/image anywhere and bang! WPV is there quick as you like with more options than preview and Xee together, no hoops to jump through.

7. Bruno09, Oct 25, 2013

Bruno09 macrumors 68020

I also use Xee.

You can go full screen directly, see the preferences.

You don't need to Cmd + a : double click on a picture, then browse.

See the preferences for the shortcuts (or swipe if you have a trackpad).

To set Xee as your default viewer : select a picture, Cmd + I, "open with", select Xee, then "change all".

8. mikegml thread starter macrumors member

I'll try it again. The XEE icon sits in the dock, but I can't see any prefs' anywhere

9. mtngoatjoe macrumors regular

mtngoatjoe

From CNet

From CNet...

With the Quick Look window open simply pinch-zoom on a multitouch trackpad and the Quick Look window will expand to full screen. If you do not have a multitouch trackpad, then you can hold the Option key when pressing the spacebar to invoke Quick Look immediately in full-screen mode.​
    But I don't think you can rotate in quicklook.

10. Cardsnk macrumors regular

Try Arcsoft Photo+
    Here: http://www.arcsoft.com/photoplus/

11. mikegml thread starter macrumors member

12. Bruno09 macrumors 68020

13. mikegml, Oct 25, 2013

mikegml thread starter macrumors member

14. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

This is pretty consistent with Mac apps. The preferences will be under that first menu choice, or you can hit the command-comma keys together.

There will be test on all this later. :D

15. mikegml thread starter macrumors member

Yeah I got that one now. Obviously I flat refuse to read any manuals and prefer to 'discover' stuff.

16. MickeyVee macrumors member

MickeyVee

It may be a bit of overkill but have you taken a look at ACDSee Pro v3 for Mac. It's my viewer of choice (only problem right now is that it doesn't work on Mavericks - update coming in November)