photoanalysisd - GO AWAY

Discussion in 'macOS Sierra (10.12)' started by lunarworks, Jul 23, 2016.

1. lunarworks macrumors 6502a

I know the new version of Photos in macOS Sierra analyzes all of your photos for faces and over 3,000 objects... but the analysis process runs whether Photos is open or not.

This is a problem for me. I have something around 30,000 photos (my library dates back to 1999.) It's going to be running for a long time, and when it runs it hogs the CPU. If I kill it, it re-spawns half an hour later. If I put my Mac to sleep, I come back to it later with the process running.

The biggest reason this is a problem is because today it's 35°C in my city (Toronto), we're under a heat warning, I don't have air conditioning, and my MBP has already locked up and reset twice today because of overheating due to this stupid resource-intensive process.

I wish it had the sense to throttle back and not go wild.

2. Feenician Suspended

Feenician

35 degrees C is upper limit of where a Macbook or iMac is meant to be operated*. If yours is resetting at or below that temperature you have a hardware issue. If its above that temperature in your house then you have a another issue entirely and you will, sooner or later, damage your Mac's hardware, almost certainly the file system at the very least.

Either way, photoanslysisd is not your problem.

*https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201640
    https://support.apple.com/kb/sp634?locale=en_US

3. vista980622, Jul 23, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2016

vista980622 macrumors 6502

J
    1. Disable System Integrity Protection.
    2. Navigate to /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/PhotoAnalysis.framework/Versions/A/Support
    3. Find the photoanalysisd file and move it to Trash
    4. Empty Trash
    5. Re-enable System Integrity Protection.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

What happens if you use something other then Photos, such as Lightroom?

5. mixel macrumors 65816

mixel

I have a similar number of photos, many in RAW formats.. i just leave it running overnight. It's a bit weird its hogging your CPU to that extent though? Im running a 2012 iMac and it seems to happily pootle along in the background without impacting much at all.

6. mbern1008 macrumors regular

I also have a library of over 35K of pictures. Mine has been stuck at about 4000 for a few days now. I don't know what's keeping it from finishing but I wish there was a way to start it from scratch to find out

7. honam1021 macrumors regular

Disabling it with launchctl should suffice:
    Code:
    sudo launchctl remove com.apple.photoanalysisd
    and you can always reenable it if you want to:
    Code:
    sudo launchctl load com.apple.photoanalysisd

8. Blaisele macrumors newbie

Blaisele

Is photoanalysisd just working on the photos in the Photos app or all the photos on all attached drives?

9. Feenician Suspended

Feenician

Just photos app

10. Blaisele macrumors newbie

Blaisele

Thanks a lot for responding! It's been a couple days now, I'm going to just let it finish.