PhotoBooth and iPhoto Problems

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by SwanKong, Feb 23, 2009.

1. SwanKong macrumors newbie

I recently deleted over 12,000 photographs in iPhoto by emptying the trash (didn't realize this would remove the pics from my computer). While I managed to save 90% of them using FileSalvage, there are still two problems:

1) Photobooth pictures. I managed to save most of these; I've dragged the recovered .jpg files back into the proper Photobooth folder, but they do not appear in the filmstrip at the bottom when I open the application. Any way to fix this?

2) Before I researched how to save my pics, I went into a frenzy and clicked on the "All Pictures" button on the left hand side of my Hard Drive window. This, of course, brought up every image file on my computer: Quick Draw, .jpg, and .png files from applications like Microsoft Word, etc.

Before realizing that, I dragged every file in this folder to a folder on my desktop that I called 'pictures.' I now have these 2,000 random picture files (most of them icons in applications, I think) on my desktop and want to delete them! Is there any way to restore them to their original location? I know on a PC, there is a "restore to original location" option, but I don't see any such option on my Mac.

Thanks very much.

2. mrkgoo macrumors 65816

Sorry, I think you're out of luck. I think the windows restore to original location was just from the trash as well?

Just curious - what did you think would happen if you 'emptied the trash'?

3. SwanKong thread starter macrumors newbie

I didn't realize how pictures were stored through the iPhoto program; that is, I thought the files themselves were housed elsewhere, so that emptying the iPhoto trash would just delete pictures in iPhoto, not from my computer. It is not how photos are stored on a PC, which I had grown accustomed to.

4. mrkgoo macrumors 65816

Fair enough.

iPhoto is a just a manager for your photos you have stored on your computer -like a front end. I always recommend to have it manage the folders as opposed to linking to the files.

Sorry to hear - hopefully you recovered your best ones.

I also recommend some kind of routine backup procedure. What would you do if you got a hard drive failure, stolen computer, or dropped computer right now?