Photobooth problem

Discussion in 'macOS' started by linjunhao, Jun 17, 2007.

1. linjunhao macrumors newbie

2. parlour macrumors member

Not really a solution, but …

By chance I just found out what caused the exact same problem on my iMac.

It was EyeTV. I have this little TV USB thing, and if I start watching TV with it, Photo Booth starts to look funny (like in your case).

If I first open Photo Booth and after that EyeTV Photo Booth works just fine but EyeTV tells me that there is not quite enough USB 2.0 bandwidth.

Since both, the TV thing and the iSight are connected to the Mac via external and/or internal USB, my educated guess is that using both at the same time is just too much for the iMac. I guess you could have this problem with any USB device that needs a lot of bandwidth. That's a nasty problem.

Edit:

Did some "research": Yep, definitely a case of not enough bandwidth. When there is not enough USB bandwidth Photo Booth doesn't give you some error message, it "intelligently" reduces the resolution, and then resizes the resulting snapshot back to the normal 640x480 resolution. Look at those two pictures:

[​IMG]
    Normal quality picture …

[​IMG]
    and that happens when another bandwidth-intensive app is running.

A clever solution to the problem, in comparison to EyeTV that just says "not enough bandwidth" (But I'm certainly surprised that you get such a problem with the built-in USB. Shouldn't at least that have enough bandwidth for everything you plug-in?), but it seems as if Apple didn't test the effects with this low-res mode. Technically this is a bug.