Photodesk instagram app can't download images from Instagram anymore!

Discussion in 'OS X El Capitan (10.11)' started by shankar2, Nov 18, 2015.

1. shankar2 macrumors 6502

Hi, the latest update to the instagram client app Photodesk has download images disabled. So I cannot download images from an instagram account

On their website, the author says that it's due to Apple's restrictions on mac apps.

I want to know what are these restrictions and how can I get an instagram client that allows download of images from Instagram accounts.. Thanks!

2. Rodan52 macrumors regular

Rodan52

Yes I have read about this, a bit annoying but I wont go onto explaining Apple's justifications for this restriction. I had a look for a solution at the time and saved this page which I think covers the topic pretty well;
    http://www.wikihow.com/Save-a-Picture-from-Instagram

3. shankar2 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately I switched to Macs and now I'm regretting partly because of the Instagram restrictions which kind of messes up my work. Is there ANY mac app that allows instagram photos download? Photodesk had it but they put restrictions ( I wish I hadn't updated their app!). Can developers get around the restrictions by selling the apps outside of the Mac appstore on their website for eg? Thanks again.

4. shankar2 thread starter macrumors 6502

Anyone know of a mac instagram app that allows download of images?

5. gixxerfool macrumors 6502a

gixxerfool

I used downloader for Instagram. It wasn't too feature rich but it worked. Not sure what exactly you're looking to download though.

6. simon lefisch macrumors 6502a

simon lefisch

If you want pics from Instagram, why not just take a screenshot and crop?

7. MacGizmo macrumors 6502a

MacGizmo

Is click & drag not working from Safari? Sometimes the obvious solution is the easiest/best.

I haven't heard or seen anything about Apple restricting downloads of images from Instagram. Facebook (Instagram) has recently changed the API for Instagram though, which may explain the problem. Perhaps Apple is just upholding the new API rules.

8. gixxerfool macrumors 6502a

gixxerfool

as far as I know, you were never able to do this on Instagram's site. I know there are certain sites it just doesn't work, I'm not sure what they do to prevent it from happening, but I get the impression it was intentional.

9. shankar2 thread starter macrumors 6502

10. MrNomNoms macrumors 65816

MrNomNoms

Yes they can get around the restriction since it is only an issue if the software vendor wishes to sell through the AppStore. The restrictions that Apple is putting on the application sold through the App Store is to cover their own backside and avoid a law suit. Btw, you're probably better off looking for another service to use if you you need a place where you an back up your photos to which doesn't have the restrictions such as Flickr.