PhotoForge2 out today, $0.99 ONLY today (5/19/11)

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by Keleko, May 19, 2011.

1. Keleko macrumors 68000

I don't have anything to do with development for this app. I just bought this morning and had been waiting for it to come out. This is a new version of PhotoForge. They are NOT making it an update to the original app. That may upset some owners of the original app, but that's why they're making it $0.99 for today only to give a low cost upgrade for owners of the original.

PhotoForge2 is also a Universal app. At the release today the iPad support is not yet ready, but the developer assures it will be coming in an update.

The new version is best described as Photoshop for iOS. I did not own the original version, so I can't compare what the new is like with the old. However, the biggest new feature is LAYERS. As far as I'm aware, this is the first iOS photo edit app that supports layers. From what I can tell with my short trial so far, I'll be able to import directly from my camera and do most general post processing on the iPad.

2. Razeus macrumors 603

Thanks for the heads up!!! I've been waiting for this.

It has layers! :eek: Put photos saved to Dropbox! :cool: Full-rez editing!;) Sick!

3. kwjohns macrumors 6502a

kwjohns

Does it happen to have a Type Tool to add text onto images? Seems none of these photo apps offer that.

4. g/love macrumors newbie

too bad its not yet supported for the ipad. Photoforge 1 had 2 separate versions... one was called photoforge for iPad, the other was simply photoforge.
    i hope they upgrade this one to ipad functionality instead of making a separate 'for ipad' version.

5. fhall1 macrumors 68040

fhall1

From the original post:

"At the release today the iPad support is not yet ready, but the developer assures it will be coming in an update."

I guess the question is....will we have to pay again for the iPad version if we buy this one?....I'd rather have an iPad only version myself - much easier to process images on the larger screen.

6. Donka macrumors 68020

Donka

According to the developer website FAQ it will be a Universal app so therefore no further cost:

http://photoforge2.com/

Will PhotoForge 2 be a Universal application?
    Yes, PhotoForge2 will be Universal and will not have HD or iPad specific versions. However, native iPad support will not be available on release. Don't worry, it will be coming very soon.

7. Keleko thread starter macrumors 68000

I do not see that functionality, either.

8. vertigo235 macrumors 6502

Photogene does.

9. jacobtf macrumors newbie

I wouldn't exactly call this Photoshop for iPad, I mean, it is very limited in actual EDITING. Sure, you can apply filters, rotate and resize, crop etc. But not really any actual retouching etc.

Not saying it's not good for what it is - but it's nowhere near even the very old versions of Photoshop.