Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rmackner

macrumors member
Oct 28, 2014
No brainer for me, get the 15" with the 256GB drive. For the same price as the 13" you get a much faster machine on top of having the larger screen which I believe is a definite plus over the 13" (much more than extra portability).

And again how is 2 more cores "much" faster then the 13"? If your getting a base or mid tier 15" all your getting is 2 more cores, a slightly faster iGPU and a bigger screen.

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
Why would anyone even attempt to edit anything on a laptop screen? If you're going to do any real work on a MBP plug it into a darn external monitor.

Agree, and make sure you take the time (and get the hardware) to get the monitor calibrated correctly.

I'd rather use my rMBP screen over my iMac for editing. The resolution is higher.

----------

You also get 16GB of RAM whereas the 13" has 8.

Resolution is relatively unimportant. The problem is that you're not going to get the rMBP screen calibrated as correctly as you can with a *good* quality external monitor (which will set you back quite a bit of cash, but if you want to edit photos for serious use, it's mandatory). If the OP doesn't care about proper calibration, then my comments are n/a.

rmackner

macrumors member
Oct 28, 2014
Agree, and make sure you take the time (and get the hardware) to get the monitor calibrated correctly.

Resolution is relatively unimportant. The problem is that you're not going to get the rMBP screen calibrated as correctly as you can with a *good* quality external monitor (which will set you back quite a bit of cash, but if you want to edit photos for serious use, it's mandatory). If the OP doesn't care about proper calibration, then my comments are n/a.

If your career is on the line with the photo editing that you are doing I would make every effort to always be current with tech (because every other photographer around you is doing the same and one step above your work). If you want to produce top quality work and keep moving up the ladder then you need a professional setup. And by going that far into it most people would probably just suggest getting a imac for your "workstation" and the laptop is just for on the go presentations.

paolo-

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2008
And again how is 2 more cores "much" faster then the 13"? If your getting a base or mid tier 15" all your getting is 2 more cores, a slightly faster iGPU and a bigger screen.

It obviously depends on the work load. I thought the model OP was looking at had a dedicated graphics card though, even then. If you so a lot of batch processing, and need some of the more intensive tools in Photoshop like photo-align (mainly used for panoramas, multi-exposure shots, focus stacking), content-aware tools and some of the more intensive filters like smart blur the processing performance will be very noticeable. But you're right, most of the time when doing photo retouching, you're not waiting on the computer to keep up with your work.

RAM could be the clincher though, if you've got large files open in InDesign, Photoshop and Illustrator at the same time (let's a throw in a web browser for good measures) all is well until you start running out of ram and life just becomes miserable. While he may not need it everyday, having more ram gives you much more flexibility in your workflow.

But you make a good point, while it is a much faster machine, the difference might be pretty imperceptible for photo retouching. I personally feel the difference for video editing and 3D rendering where having twice as many cores make some of long wait times half as long.

N2bnfunn

macrumors member
Jul 24, 2011
Hello I am a Wedding Photographer myself I shoot with Canon Professional 1 DX, I also used a power mac Retina 15" 16 gigs of ram I7 processor with 1TB hard drive and it does the job.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.