Photographer debating on either a 13or 15 in mbp or matte screen

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Gerry R, Jun 18, 2009.

1. Gerry R macrumors newbie

Hey readers. I have a couple questions for you. I'm sure you've heard these so many times, but here goes..

I've been using macs for about a year or so now, and as of lately I've been needing a lot more internal space. I have the flash drives, I have the external drives, but as far as I know, replacing my 120 GB hard drive will void the warranty on my mbp, and I really need something bigger.

Is it worth it to get a computer with a 320 gb hd or 500? how likely are they able to fail? Obviously I'd back up regularly. But is it worth it to spend 300$ more on something faster with more HD space? Is more internal space even something that I'd need? I don't want to store all the photos on my internal, but all the apps I have that I use to edit everything with takes up so much space. I also need to be able to store a lot of photos at one time on my computer, because there are times when I need to make slideshows, or dvd's etc.

https://www.springboardstore.com/store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=1698#details
    https://www.springboardstore.com/store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=1699

these are the two that I've been looking at, but perhaps there's something better listed on this site as to what would work best. Also, my current mbp has a matte screen.. what is it like editing hundreds of photos at a time on a glossy screen? I heard it isn't ideal, but I guess I could invest in an external monitor?

what do you fellow photographers use that works best? what combination of storing photos, editing and viewing photos work best?

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Changing your hard drive doesn't void your warranty!

I would just store everything in external HD because even 500GB will fill up very rapidly. Just get a USB or FW hub so you can plug all your external at the same time. If your current MBP does its job well, I wouldn't buy a new one.

Change your HD to 320 or 500GB and get big external as well

3. Gerry R thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for the help. would a terabyte be overkill?

4. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Absolutely not. 1TB gives you the best price per 1GB. Get big one so you don't have to change your internal HD

5. Gerry R thread starter macrumors newbie

well then that's settled. do you also think my computer without apple care would be worth keeping around? i hear people say glossy screens aren't anything to brag about when editing photos.. so it does sound like i'm better off with my matte screen.

6. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Are you still under warranty? If you are, buy AppleCare. Of course it's worth it without AppleCare, if it fails, you can buy new one. I have glossy iMac and glossy haven't bothered me and I do photoshopping quite much. Stick with your matte MBP as long as you can and then think about buying new one

7. mep42 macrumors member

8. stranger danger macrumors member

If you're a serious photographer, I would recommend investing in an external monitor with a high resolution. If the glare bugs you on the new MBPs, buy an anti-glare screen (Moshi has the iVisor AG for about $30-35)