Photographer needs new Mac

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by madphotography, Sep 11, 2009.

1. madphotography macrumors newbie

I have about worn out my Imac and MBP in my photography business. I use Aperture, Photoshop and am switching to Lightroom..

Looking for a new computer..does high end imac have enough power or should I be looking at the mac pro?

All images are stored off line in external hard drives and 24"is a fine size for me..

We shoot mainly sports with some weddings and senior portraits...

Iread that the imac is "coming to its lifecycle end" whatever that means..wondering what others are using and why..

Thanks,
    Nick

2. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

Simply that the model has been around for the amount of time typical of a mid-level desktop and is therefore due for a re-design major enough to consider it a different model.

You may want to post the more detailed part of your biz-specific question in the photo section, were you're likely to run into more photographers.

3. Rhalliwell1 macrumors 6502a

if your budget can stretch to a mac pro i would get that - your easily future proofed then. However i do have a top of the range current generation iMac and that is more than powerful enough for the photography work that i do - albeit my camera is only a 6 megapixels!

Alternatively you could wait until the next generation of iMacs are released, apple might have a quad core option for them by them. :)