iPad mini Photographers - I know it's tempting, but don't do it!

Discussion in 'iPad' started by AlvinNguyen, Nov 2, 2012.

1. AlvinNguyen macrumors 6502a

I am so tempted to keep it - everything about the mini is just awesome. But, sizing aside, I can't use it to showcase my work :( not when the retina screen is like print.

Pic taken with my iPhone 5 - top is mini...obviously :(

Attached Files:

2. HelloMikee macrumors 6502a

HelloMikee

I don't thinks its all that bad with photos. It's text that is the culprit.

3. AlvinNguyen thread starter macrumors 6502a

The flower in that icon is a photo :confused:

4. mebehere macrumors 6502

Big difference. Hard to go back from retina. Depending on your clients, they may not notice, but photographers want to show their work in the best light. This ain't it.

5. pasadena macrumors 6502a

pasadena

It surely makes a difference for professional photos when you want to showcase them. I guess kinda like printing them on photo paper Vs normal paper.

OP, I'd be interested to see the same comparison with an actual photo of yours instead of the icons ?

6. HelloMikee macrumors 6502a

HelloMikee

But the pixelation that is shown in your photo is not how it looks to the naked eye. And that icon of the flower is NOT a photo. It's a graphic. Still confused?

I do agree that the display isn't nearly as nice as iPad retina displays. But I still think photos don't look all that bad nor do videos and games. They look "good" as opposed to text which I feel is only satisfactory.

7. stevo8 macrumors 6502

Seems pretty situational really. Regardless if your looking to land a big gig you shouldn't be relying on a image less then 8" to get it for you. I know I'll be getting one and loading some stuff up incase friends, family etc want to check out what I have been working on and will have zero concerns about the screen making my work look bad. However I wouldn't dare walk into a interview with just a 7" screen to rely on.

8. AlvinNguyen thread starter macrumors 6502a

uh no that doesn't make any sense. An image is an image, perhaps your eyes are just seeing it different but the quality of the display is not up to par with the retina by a long stretch. Why have good when you can have print quality is what I'm saying.

9. Kashsystems macrumors 6502

My main problem with this thread is that I think that any photographer worth his pay grade would know not to buy a non retina display iPad for photo viewing.

10. nStyle macrumors 65816

I disagree. Though I wouldn't trust it as my primary device as a professional, the mini is more than adequate to showcase your work. Photography isn't just sharpness and clarity... It's color, composition, point of view, etc... Clients aren't going to dismiss a truly great shot just because its being viewed on a Mini

11. Kashsystems macrumors 6502

I think the mini is good for a catalog but I know some photographers who use the 3 for the retina display so they could judge the quality of their pictures on the fly. It makes a huge difference.

12. Baggio macrumors 6502

I just took a pic of the same icon on my iPad 1 with my iPhone 4S and it looks more like the bottom photo and I am not seeing pixelation and the iPad 1 screen has less ppi than the Mini.

13. AlvinNguyen thread starter macrumors 6502a

They won't, but if they've been looking at other portfolios on an iPad 3/4 then they will see a difference.

14. HelloMikee macrumors 6502a

HelloMikee

I think it depends on your client. If they're from Mac forums your ***** out of luck. Most others will look at the content of the photo not the screens pixel count.

A lot of people even have bad computer displays and still hire you over the work they see on your website. And it's not because of the pixels per inch ill tell ya that.

----------

So your saying that the photo you took is exactly what you see with your naked eye?

15. Aneres11 macrumors 68000

Aneres11

Oh god wont somebody please think of the children!