Photography in WA state

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by tpavur, Jun 1, 2011.

1. tpavur, Jun 1, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2011

tpavur macrumors regular

A new wrench to the mix, i'm going to be taking a lot of shots in the rain it seems, is a Nikon D3100 going to survive in this weather? if not what model will? If I can buy a water proof case for it that stays on while I shoot that will work as well... however will I also need a water proof lenz? if so I'm looking for a lenz that fits this use and also offers vibration reduction.

Also after using the D3100 at a local store I love the price and performance of this camera; can anyone provide a reason I should go with a diffrent camera at the same price point? i.e. better features, better pictures?

2. davegregory macrumors regular

There are rain sleeves you can buy for your camera. Usually, you can find them at your local store for $10-$15. Or, you can just find a plastic bag large enough and cut the right holes in it. Either works. But I definitely recommend you put something over it if you're in the rain.

3. johnnj macrumors 6502a

I'm not too familiar with Nikon, but I was just looking at their website and it doesn't look like any of their cameras specifically state that they're weather resistant. The common operating environment in the specs is 23-104f and 85% humidity. The pro guys don't even list that, but also make no mention of weather resistant, which I was surprised about.

I know on the Canon side you have to have a 1D series camera, with an L lens which states it's weather resistant (not all are), and then a filter on the lens.

I find it hard to believe that Canon would have this over Nikon. The specs on the website must be incomplete.

If you're really going to be shooting in downpours you might want to invest in some rain covers for your camera. Even if your camera/lens combo is weather resistant it doesn't mean it's water proof.

4. compuwar macrumors 601

compuwar

Both Nikon and Canon's low-end bodies and lenses are less weather sealed than their expensive high-end models. But in either case, seals can fail, so the best thing to do is to use a rain cover. Personally, I prefer the Fotosharp ones, both for cost and the fact that you can try before payment.

My D3x and 400/28 are both sealed, they still get a rain cover when the clouds are looming.

http://fotosharp.com/camera_rain_covers.html

Paul

5. Designer Dale macrumors 68040

Designer Dale

The weather in Washington keeps me inside way too much. Look at the sleeves mentioned above and a golf umbrella. Depending on what you will shoot, a flash to deal with the dull lighting will help, too. This is my shopping list before the next Fall out here.

Dale