Photography on crutches

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by whiteonline, May 9, 2012.

1. whiteonline macrumors 6502

whiteonline

So, I decided to purchase the Fuji X-Pro1 that I've been coveting for a while...

A few days later, I rupture my achilles tendon playing soccer. Evidently, I'll be on crutches for quite some time.

Anyone have experience being on crutches for an extended time or have some tips on taking pictures in this situation? I have tried to google it, but results are mostly stock photography images.

Cheers!

2. WRP macrumors 6502a

Hell, you're a walking tripod now. Should be easy.

3. colquhounclan macrumors newbie

Sorry to hear about the achilles! Seriously consider getting a knee walker, also known as a rollabout. There's a few manufacturers and price ranges. You may even be able to rent one locally.
    I was non-weight-bearing for 4 months last year and the knee walker is worth it's weight in gold. I was able to go to the mall, walk (or roll) with the dog and I even went to a major-league baseball game.
    Look for one that steers and locking wheels. You'll be able to lock the wheels, then use the knee cushion as a seat. Propping your elbows on the handlebar would make for very steady photography. Good luck and feel better!

4. Zh2 macrumors member

Hi,

Not being flippant! Really I am not! I have done this... Similar situation for me several years ago.... 2 lengths of rope. 1 short, 1 long, a couple of twists and a seat is before you. ( 2 chop sticks and 2 elastic bands will show you the principle! )

Cheap. Quick. Easy to assemble. Fits in the pocket. Garners looks of amazement and admiration. Can also be used in self defence ( think about it! ).
    It can also be used to start a fire - If that need ever arose in a legal and safe place!!!

Now I am being flippant. Hope the tendon gets better soon and have fun with that Fuji!

Regards.

Z

5. farbRausch, May 9, 2012
    Last edited: May 10, 2012

farbRausch macrumors member

I feel real sorry for you(I'm a soccer player myself).
    I have no experience to photograph being on crutches. Well, I think the biggest disadvantage is that you can't crouch down to get interesting PoV. Maybe get a good tripod(if you don't already have one) and good shoulder-bag to put your tripod in. This can be your chance to get hang of tripod stuff(night photography, long exposures in general etc.). Don't see this as a limitation. Remember that a blind person has a great sense of hearing. Similarly you will develop a great sense of whatever your are doing instead of your normal photography.
    I hope it became clear what I tried to say here(I'm not a native english speaker :D ).
    Best regards

6. fitshaced macrumors 68000

fitshaced

Huh?

7. whiteonline thread starter macrumors 6502

whiteonline

Thank you for all the feedback. Hopefully I'll have some worthwhile images to post in the near future.
    Surgery tomorrow!

Cheers!
    Matthew

8. farbRausch macrumors member

Aww, I meant blind not deaf. :)