Photography Portfolio-Suggestions On Current Build.

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by Bocheememon, Jun 30, 2007.

1. Bocheememon macrumors regular

Bocheememon

Hello everyone,

I am graduating this December and am creating a website of my current body of work. This website is aimed at professional photographers who are interested in highering me as an intern or assistant.

I wanted a website that has organized information and was free of visual clutter. I wanted a design that was similar to a printed photography book or a wide scroll. I chose a modernist typestyle such as Didot, since it is a contemporary font with clean lines.

The website will be designed in html using separate iframes. I am aware this is dated code, but this is all I know as far as web-language is concerned. I will be studying Flash, and will apply this design to a flash website once I have studied some.

What I'm having trouble with is the placement of the written information. Should I have who designed the website on the page, or is that unnecessary?
    When displaying information on the photograph, should it be placed by the photo (like a book--siteb/c.jpg) or by the thumbnails--sitea.jpg--?
    The contents section: Does it look alright in the last two, or better in the first image?

Is the large thumbnail necessary, too large, or placed poorly? I'm not fully happy with the placement.

As far as navigation is concerned, the thumbnails will be gone when you first load the page. When you click the links, the information should load on the empty space. When you click on the photos, small thumbnails will appear and the image will load on the right panel.

Thanks for any help!

Here are the samples.

This one is the original design.
    [​IMG]

The next two are redesigned illustrated in Portrait and Landscape.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. jng macrumors 65816

jng

I like it but the image should be aligned left instead of right. That giant gap is odd.

I think it's fine if the text is on the bottom of the large version (needed). For portraits, maybe stick them to the right? Or also on the bottom for consistency.

3. Bocheememon thread starter macrumors regular

Bocheememon

I'll give it a try.

JNG: Thank you for the input.

For the photo in portrait mode, it would be best to have the text to the right? I'll give that a try and see how it looks.

I definitely want to keep the site consistent, as content will change as my portfolio develops.

I looked at several photography websites from pros, and I noticed some place archives on the page.

When the archive link is clicked, it sends you to all their projects they worked on. Should I not include an archive link. Also some photographers I looked at displayed project- Ex: China, 2005 Mexico, 2006, and etc. Archives would then have- North Dakota, 2001, San Diego, 2002, and etc. Is that too much of a hassle to have a system like that? I don't want the visitors to be clicking just to get to an image.