Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cosmokanga2

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Background:
I have had my photography site up for over a year and in this time it has gone through 2 major and 3-4 minor revisions, each time getting better. My first site, which is no longer up, required too many clicks, scrolls and wasn't designed for the number of new pages I have since added. The new site aims to solve these problems.

The site is designed in iWeb which is then run through iWebseo to add metatags and other code. As you'll see my aim to to have a simple, minimalist look.

The images are currently put up using the iWeb galleries but those are coming down in favour of either Simpleviewer or some other, preferably non-flash gallery system. Open to suggestions.

What I'm looking for:
I'm looking for advise regarding design and navigation on the whole site especially the main page and the portfolio index page. Please tell my the good, bad and ugly; I can only self critique it so far.

Please keep in mind that I am using iWeb and that at the moment I will not be using another program to code it.

The new website: New Photo Site Old/current site: Here

BTW, the large white spaces on the portfolio pages will be where the pictures will be displayed.

Thanks.

ronjon10

macrumors regular
Dec 9, 2009
The layout and navigation works for me.

I do have issues with the content. Not sure if you want critique on it, but here goes:

- You've got the same images repeated in different buckets. I don't like that. I'd dump that people section entirely since the images seem to exist elsewhere and that isn't what you said you want to shoot.

- Figure out what you're trying to sell and target your portfolio to that. If you want to do editorial / event photography and also sell fine art photos of the Whistler area, consider creating two websites.

- I'd dump the link to youtube and other external sites. You can embed the videos in your site if you want to show them. You don't want people to leave your site.

cosmokanga2

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
The layout and navigation works for me.

I do have issues with the content. Not sure if you want critique on it, but here goes:

- You've got the same images repeated in different buckets. I don't like that. I'd dump that people section entirely since the images seem to exist elsewhere and that isn't what you said you want to shoot.

- Figure out what you're trying to sell and target your portfolio to that. If you want to do editorial / event photography and also sell fine art photos of the Whistler area, consider creating two websites.

- I'd dump the link to youtube and other external sites. You can embed the videos in your site if you want to show them. You don't want people to leave your site.

Comments on the images are welcome as well! Thanks.

I've though about combining some of the buckets as in my page logs many people only go to one or two pages.

guyducati

macrumors regular
One issue I see: That font is Helvetica Neue Ultra-light, right? That font is NOT compatible with Windows, so Windows computers would see Arial or some font like that, and the layout would be all messed up. I like the design a lot though.

Attachments

• Screen shot 2010-01-28 at 5.01.12 PM.png
    Screen shot 2010-01-28 at 5.01.12 PM.png
    12.1 KB · Views: 63

cosmokanga2

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
One issue I see: That font is Helvetica Neue Ultra-light, right? That font is NOT compatible with Windows, so Windows computers would see Arial or some font like that, and the layout would be all messed up. I like the design a lot though.

It should be forcing computers that don't have that font installed to load it as an image. Thanks though.

SrWebDeveloper

macrumors 68000
Dec 7, 2007
Alexandria, VA, USA
Here's my take...

It's minimalist, which is pleasing to see from time to time. But maybe a little too stark with the white background, I'd try an almost white offwhite. The layout is excellent and works well with portfolio sites like this, well done. I enjoyed the pictures and you integrated the viewing software into iWeb transparently, so compliments there as well.

Some issues from a developer's perspective...

• The simpleviewer "exit full screen" icon should be different than the one that the user sees to enter full screen - if this is beyond your control, I understand.
  • I found the font size of the links in your portfolio page (Tear Sheets, etc.) to be slightly too large, maybe should be bulleted. But for sure, the alt text is not intended to be used for filenames - it's an accesibility feature and should be used properly.
  • I know you use another site for the blog page, and tried to make it look similar in design, but the sudden jump to open a new browser window without informing the user the link is to open in a new window isn't good, plus you really could have iframed it and made it work on the same page.
  • Looks like you went bold in the font for the content on the purchase page, when in the bio page it's not. Be consistent, whatever you choose to do. The font size on the bottom is far too small, use a bullet point or asterisk if it is to serve as a disclaimer.
  • The contact page should not list your email address explicitly - expect to get spammed. I know you're running iWeb but there are solutions out there to integrate a simple form, get some additional information from your potential clients and have it email you. Look into that.

cosmokanga2

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Newest version is up. Thank you all for your comments. I've taken them all into consideration and come out with a much better site. Final thing to do now implement mobile detection to redirect to my mobile version.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.