Photography software?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Franny4321, Jan 23, 2012.

1. Franny4321 macrumors member

I enjoy taking picts and working with them. In the past with windows I have used photoshop cs4, but truly more programs than I needed. I don't want to spend the 100s for the mac version. I also used windows photo gallery to upload from camera. I am looking for a program which would replace each. I am ok with photoshop essentials, but it does not upload as well. I like seeing picts to rotate or delete (I take some poor picts) immediately. Does anyone have suggestions? I went on the apple store and their version does not get good reviews with Lion. (too slow) Aperature, I think. Thanks again for any help.

2. simsaladimbamba

Maybe try iPhoto first for simple corrections.
    You can also take a look at Pixelmator or Gimp for more complex photo manipulation.

3. Franny4321 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks, I know iPhoto lets you download the picts from camera. I will have to buy it, so I really wanted one which would do both.

4. simsaladimbamba

If you have a new Mac, it will be already preinstalled, unless you deleted it or reinstalled Mac OS X without reinstalling the iLife suite.

5. Tumbleweed666 macrumors 68000

Franny, you do not have to have iPhoto merely to upload pictures from your camera !

6. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

I agree, try iPhoto first, if you find that you reach it's limits Aperture is a step up, but its a pretty big step. Unlike Adobe it won't cost you a fortune though...Last time I looked I think it was around £60.00 in the UK App store.

Lot's more editing features and good value for money IMO...I use it all the time.

7. Tumbleweed666 macrumors 68000

Or there is Photoshop Elements, Much cheaper than full blown Photoshop, contains all the stuff the casual user and even many expert users would need.