Photography Website concerns.

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by OceanView, Jul 18, 2010.

1. OceanView macrumors 65816

I'm about to build my own photography website but I have a few questions.

What's the best language to use to protect images on the website?
    I've heard using a flash based language is good but since iPhones and iPads don't support it, I am not sure if HTML 5 is the best choice now.
    Does HTML5 have any security measures so that people can't copy/save my photos? How hard is the language to learn?

Any info would be greatly appreciate.

2. eponym macrumors 6502

Forget any notion you have about securing your photos. It's not going to happen. Even if you lock out any possible clicking/opening/saving actions, I can still get your image because I can take a screen shot.

You can either plaster your photos with ugly watermarks, or concede that somebody might save them (also admitting that it doesn't matter).

3. decksnap macrumors 68040

decksnap

There's no true way to do this, because anybody can screengrab whatever they want.

FWIW there is no need to use flash - you can overlay a div with css that has a transparent gif in it. But, again, they'll just screengrab it if they want it.

4. OceanView thread starter macrumors 65816

Yes, I am well aware of those techniques but I still have to do something to protect them. Watermarks are ugly but sometimes a necessary evil.

Using this method, will it work on iPhones/iPads?

5. deevey macrumors newbie

Watermarking will work fine, you can do it either before you upload your images in photoshop or similar..

OR you can look to a solution like "Gallery2" (or 3) .. which adds a watermark during the upload process.

Gallery2 is a php based CMS solution which can be also used to sell images (or batches of images).. and also for customer upload / download.

It'll work fine on i/phones/pads/pods

Very cool system, do check it out :)

Hope it helps

6. nesuser2 macrumors 6502

nesuser2

My two cents, if you are really concerned about it......then find some software that you can buy to do all the backend work for you. Lots of photographers are geeks but focus on what is important and just shell out a few dollars. There are all sorts of free apps that can apply watermarks to your images on the fly but spending a little money on software can save you the headache of worrying about a bug in your code leaving your pics wide open. If my memory ever comes back, there is a real nice app out there but it just escapes me!

7. geolej macrumors newbie