Photography Website creator...

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by trjwv, Oct 13, 2010.

1. trjwv macrumors regular

I am looking for a website creator where I can design a Photography website. A must would include a tab for client proofing with password. I am not interested in selling from the website just showcasing photo, describing my talents and pricing and the client proofing with password protection. Is this something one could create using mac software or are there 3rd party sites to look at. I have looked at smugmug but am interested in looking at others. I found this website http://karavancephotography.com/ which looks good but it doesn't state what was used to create. Can anyone tell. This site is what I am looking for.
    Thanks

2. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Gallery is a pretty popular photo CMS web app. There's no Mac software for this kind of thing. You'll be using some type of web application like this that allows for themes that you can customize.

3. MattSepeta macrumors 65816

MattSepeta

That site was made in flash probably. I can't for the life of me understand why people still build sites soley in flash!!! You lose most of your SEO, you lose the ability to easily customize, etc...

Wordpress is your answer. Check out my site (www.mattsepeta.com)
    I was able to teach myself enough HTML and CSS to customize it to exactly how I want it, along with buying a $15 Wordpress theme (Gate Way Theme for Wordpress)

For client proofing and delivering of images I use Zenfolio. I have a pro account which costs $90 a year or something, but it lets me set price lists with custom markups and handles EVERYTHING for you. SO GREAT.

Check out wordpress!

4. manueld macrumors 6502

You could use wordpress, there's currently quite a few free photography templates you could utilize and then just password protect categories/posts so they're inaccessible to the general public.

5. NikMac macrumors member

As others said, WordPress may be able to provide what you need. I would avoid using Flash as the website you linked to did and recommend hiring a designer or learning xhtml/css yourself - your website is your online identity and it's worth investing in.

For passwords, the easiest option I use is protecting directories using .htaccess - most web hosts can do this for you, but it's not hard to set up yourself:
    http://www.thesitewizard.com/apache/password-protect-directory.shtml

6. manueld macrumors 6502

and just a quick addendum to my previous post, there's several different wordpress plugins that can accomplish the password protection you need.