Photography Website - Where do I start?

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by epicwelshman, Jul 20, 2009.

1. epicwelshman macrumors 6502a

epicwelshman

Hey all,

I'm an occasional freelance photographer, and it's got to the point where I need a professional-looking website - photo galleries, bio, contact, etc.

I don't like flash, but I may not be able to help using it, and for better or worse it does display photos in a very pretty way.

I looked at Template Monster and the prices seem reasonable, and some of the templates are pretty snazzy, but how easy are they to customize? I'll need to edit text, logos, add in my own photos, etc. Is this doable (with very little web experience)?

I don't have the money to have a site custom built for me. Is a template the way to go? Can someone recommend another template site?

Thanks!

2. Beaverfish macrumors regular

3. snickelfritz macrumors 65816

snickelfritz

Photo galleries are ideally based on XML.
    This allows you to easily add photos, change captions and titles, etc... without having to recompile the application.
    I've looked at a few templetes and they are usually relatively complex to edit.

FlashLoaded has an excellent photo gallery template that is very easy to edit.

4. eleven2brett macrumors regular

You should check out Pixel Post: http://www.pixelpost.org/
    Its a photoblog software, think wordpress made for pictures. Lots of good free templates! When you get a little more adventurous you can probably design your own.

5. Ride9650 macrumors 6502

for a whole site, I think a template would probably be best or try iweb like Beaverfish suggested. Using blog software could work well too in terms of easy of use.

For displaying photos, I think zenphoto is pretty cool. It looks nice, easy to setup, relatively easy to customize.
    People can leave comments too!

6. epicwelshman thread starter macrumors 6502a

epicwelshman

Thanks for all the replies; I appreciate it.

I have PixelPost on my photoblog in my signature. What I really want is a portfolio website. Essentially something like the pros use, but without spending anywhere from $200 to $1,000 or above for professional and sophisticated flash websites.

Could Autoviewer help me out?

7. shaunymac macrumors 6502

I just went through all of this. I made a simple one in dreamweaver. I am working through a little kinks still but it is up none the less.

www.shaunlavery.com

You can make something like this very very quick.

8. cosmokanga2 macrumors 6502a

cosmokanga2

Your site brings up a "Suspected Malware" warning in Safari.

9. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Pros get professionals to make the sites, or do their own if they are good designers.

10. omgitskevin macrumors member

have you checked out wordpress I don't know the prices and I don't think you need any experience to put something out.

11. m3kilpat macrumors regular

Wordpress is free. If you host your own Wordpress blog you have full control, but of course you need to pay for hosting and a domain, but that's always the case.

You would need some sort of savviness to get what you want out of Wordpress. I'm sure there are photo modules you can install for it but then you're going to have to modify templates and everything to get exactly what you want. Wordpress is probably going to be harder than just creating it yourself in this case.

Here is another site called Gallery that is made to easily create photo galleries. I'm not sure if this is something you'd want but check it out.

12. iGary Guest

iGary

13. epicwelshman thread starter macrumors 6502a

epicwelshman

Again? Man, I keep trying to fix that. I think something corrupted my PixelPost install... there's some pretty bad coding in there.

14. eleven2brett macrumors regular

Ah, so you do! Sorry for not having seen that. What is it exactly that you need to change in your site, whats not working for you?

15. design-is macrumors 65816

design-is

Gallery theme for WordPress might also be worth looking at! (Different from the gallery software mentioned above.)

/Doug

16. sarge macrumors 6502a

sarge

Slideshow Pro

I just finished building my own photo site and although it's still a little rough at least it's pretty much the way I envisioned it.
    I utilized a program called slideshowpro which for me was a godsend. I am not that accomplished at flash but for $35 you get a boatload of templates/looks that you can use to create slideshows into a div tag. There is a version for Flash that is a little more customizable (which I prefer) or a plugin version to be used w/adobe bridge. I bought the bridge version first but dont ever use it now- would sell it to you but I don't think the license is transferable!