Photomatix question

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by fenno, Mar 9, 2009.

1. fenno macrumors newbie

hi

i've been trying out photomatix, having been inspired by the HDR thread, and am having some success, but i am very puzzled by one thing:

photomatix is saving my tonemapped images at the specified 16 bits, but at 72 dpi, when i am starting with 300 dpi, 16 bit tiffs. is there any reason for this? has anyone else had this problem / does anyone have a solution? i can't seem to find any place to specify the dpi at which i would like my images saved.

thanks

2. leighonigar macrumors 6502a

Why does it matter? That's an output resolution so it's not changing the quality of the files.

3. pdxflint macrumors 68020

pdxflint

Don't worry about it too much... dpi is for printing. As long as your image size in actual pixel height x width remains the same as the original, you're fine.

4. qveda macrumors regular

I don't think CS4 can stitch just 2 images into HDR image. - at least it seems to prefer 3 or more. I was wondering if Photomatix could take just 2 images, that are say, +1-1/3 stops apart and make a HDR image.

Or, must you start with 3 or more , and what is the minimum stops apart for a "good" result ?

5. FX120 macrumors 65816

FX120

It depends on what you're looking for.

If you've got an image that doesn't suffer from lost shadow detail, only blown highlights, you could use only a second image say 1 stop underexposed to restore that highlight detail, and end up with a good looking image that you would never suspect of being tone mapped.

If you're looking to use HDR tone mapping as a weird "other world" type of effect, you might need to use a broader range of exposures.

6. qveda macrumors regular

hmmm... I tried just what you suggested, and the resulting image in CS4 was terrible. looked way too overexposed . I may not be up the learning curve yet, but I was dissappointed at how bad it looked. I'll try again with some with a new set of images. I want to try just 2 to find out if it will work. I'll also try with 3 images.

Has anyone else had success with just two images ? Will Photomatix work with just two ?