Photomerging....

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by cupcakes2000, May 14, 2012.

1. cupcakes2000 macrumors 6502

I wonder if anyone can help me.

I have several shots of a large ceiling, which I would like to merge together.

Is there a photoshop photomerge type function that will merge the photos together in a tile like manor to create a square or a circle as appose to a panorama?

I may just be being stupid.... and it may be very obvious!

2. mulo macrumors 68020

mulo

I don't know, but I don't think so, this requires in camera directionality to fix distortion.

3. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Not really. The purpose of the merge function is to create a panorama. You would have to adjust each image yourself if you want to pull together multiple rows and columns of images to make one large circle or square.

4. snberk103 macrumors 603

Your best bet is to post this at a Photoshop forum. I vaguely recall that Photoshop can do this, but I don't use the feature so I would hesitate to say for sure. But really, post this where their is a higher concentration of advanced Ps users. Not that there aren't Ps users here... just that a Ps forum will have more of them.

5. El Cabong macrumors 6502a

Have you tried photomerging horizontally adjacent shots row by row, then photomerging the resultant panoramas? I've had limited success with that. Otherwise, I'd rely on cutting/Warping areas that don't align.

6. cupcakes2000 thread starter macrumors 6502

I have, thanks for the thought though!

Yeah I have kind of been doing that, i have photomerged each line, and then manually aligned the top and bottom edges, as I can't photomerge upwards.. (or can I??)
    It's pretty time consuming to get it right, and I would like a simple button click function such as photomerge. It doesn't seem to beyond the realms of possibility but I don't know...

7. fa8362 macrumors 65816

Yes, you can. I do it all the time. Your shots need to align properly though, which means you need to have shot them well. I never, ever handhold.

8. cupcakes2000 thread starter macrumors 6502

How?

9. joelk2 macrumors regular

10. GT41 macrumors regular

You can load all your pictures in as separate layers and use the auto-align layers function (Its under edit menu I think). I find Auto does a good job for obvious alignments, otherwise you may have to select an appropriate other method or do some manual fixing after it has done the alignment.

I find this the most user friendly way in PS.

11. cupcakes2000 thread starter macrumors 6502

Fantastic application! Thank you for the link.. works perfectly!

12. joelk2 macrumors regular

no problems.