Photos 6 days early of the new FUJI X!

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by LongSticks, Jan 22, 2014.

1. LongSticks macrumors 6502

For all the CSC fans, some early shots of the the new waterproof Fuji XT-1 being released on the 28th Jan

More rumours on the great site - http://www.fujirumors.com/

Attached Files:

2. phrehdd macrumors 68040

phrehdd

Seems like a really interesting camera making it more than competitive with Olympus offering and as well, Sony.

What I do like is the better grip over the X-E1 and X-E2. I never understood why Fuji barely offered a "bump" for a grip on those cameras.

What I don't like from the images is the placement of the dials/knobs on top of the camera. I would have put the shutter control dial all the way to the far right akin to older cameras (for ease of use).

The exercise for me is to be able to have fast control of ISO, shutter and f-stops and enjoy the digital aspect of over riding when an immediate need occurs. Strangely, I think this camera should have taken a page from Nikon's old film cameras such as the FE2.

I have two Fujis and though this new model is beyond tempting, I'll have to wait a long while to get it - probably the end of the year. I think this new camera, assuming the info is accurate, will be a major player for serious mirrorless camera photographer.

Last - I don't think making this camera smaller is such a good thing. The E1 and E2 already are slightly unbalanced with lenses due to the shape/size. Also, while I love Fuji lenses, there was no reason to pull that BS about aperture lens rings due to variable aperture. Older lenses used to do something like this - 2.4/4 5.6 8 11 16 and thus only the first position was variable. I suppose it was a compromise to use this continuous moving aperture ring with no settings but I don't like it or use it when possible on those lenses that don't offer a traditional aperture ring.

3. LongSticks, Jan 22, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2014

LongSticks thread starter macrumors 6502

I didn't get chance to have a proper read through the articles last night when I found it.

The one advantage that leaped out at me was an up and coming 18-135 waterproof XF lens. That must mean that the XT-1 is a waterproof camera and Fuji are getting ever closer to offering a full set of SLR features!

Did you notice 51200 ISO as well! Don't really understand that when the E1 is the best lowlight camera I've ever used.

Sad news I saw on the FR site a few days ago was no Pro 2 this year. Promised the wife an upgrade from X100 to Pro2 when it arrived she won't be happy!

So how would you order the dial selectors then P? I certainly think the addition of the ISO is a boon.

4. phrehdd macrumors 68040

phrehdd

I did notice the 51200 ISO. I would be curious to see the noise levels but knowing Fuji it should be impressive in suppressing.

Both the E-1 and E-2 are fantastic cameras. I look forward to the new lenses coming out that are (best I understand) fixed aperture lenses as opposed to variable. Ideally, they should have marked aperture rings on the lens which is great. The particular ranges of those new zooms is also appealing.

X Pro 2 is right now just speculation as (maybe I am wrong) can't find any real info just speculation on what it will offer. Maybe the X100s would be the logical upgrade for the x100. No matter what you do to upgrade it will be a very different experience from the x100 handling given the lenses and balance. I would consider the x100 and x100s to be a category unto itself.

5. MacRy macrumors 68040

MacRy

I can't wait for it to be released so that I can snap up a cheap XE1 for myself when everyone starts offloading them. I'm dying to get a big brother for my X100 and try out some legacy glass on it.

6. phrehdd macrumors 68040

phrehdd

Darn shame you don't live in the States. I would sell you mine (grin). I use my X-E2 exclusively now.

7. MacRy macrumors 68040

MacRy

Lol. I don't have the funds available at the minute anyway. Need to save for a few months. Hope to pick up a used body only for under £400 and then grab some old primes and adapters off of the bay.

8. LongSticks, Jan 27, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2014

LongSticks thread starter macrumors 6502

Official launch day!

Well the X-T1 was launched in NY 23:30 (4:30GMT) and looks a really awsome camera!

Link - First Look: Fujifilm X-T1 by Rico Pfirstinger

As Rico says at the end of a great piece - this is Fuji's proof of concept that the mirrorless camera will take the DSLR crown - MR Discuss!!! ;)

From DPreview initial review:

-16MP X-Trans CMOS II sensor
    --EXR Processor II
    -Weather-resistant body
    -ISO 200-6400, plus 100 - 51200 expanded (JPEG only)
    -2.36M dot OLED electronic viewfinder with 0.77x (equiv.) magnification
    -'Dual view' on EVF shows regular view and focus peaking/digital split image at the same time
    -Top-plate ISO, shutter speed, exposure compensation, drive mode and metering controls
    -Six programmable function buttons
    -3.0" 1.04M dot 3:2 tilting LCD
    -8 fps continuous shooting with continuous AF (3 fps with live view)
    -Built-in Wi-Fi including remote control from a smartphone or tablet
    -Full HD movie recording (1080/60p, 36Mbps bitrate), with built-in stereo microphone
    -Clip-on external flash (included)
    -Optional battery grip

Attached Files:

9. phrehdd macrumors 68040

phrehdd

Looks exciting and more in line with competing with the Olympus counterpart which (except for the IQ) is a better performer in many ways to the Fuji X cameras. I'll look forward to the comparisons on some photo sites between these two cameras.

Also excited about the new lenses coming out with fixed apertures of 2.8. Back in the day, variable aperture lenses had lens aperture rings that only had the first noted stop as being variable such as : 2.4/3.2 then f4, f5.6 etc. I wish Fuji had done this with their zooms instead of a continuous moving aperture ring on the lens. Let's see how these lens fair on their image quality.

Fuji is really moving forward in an aggressive way with some high quality product.

10. LongSticks thread starter macrumors 6502

I see on the new lens road map, that there's a Superzoom XF lens due at the end of the year. That would be nice as we are looking to do a South African Safari in spring 2015!

With the XT being waterproof etc, picking up alot of users desires for the XPRO2, it makes you wonder what new things they have planned for the new Pro? Next version sensor I suppose will be the top of the list!

11. Ish macrumors 68000

Ish

Have you thought of an X-E1 in the meantime? I know it doesn't have the OV but it's very reasonably priced now. I know I wouldn't want to wait a year or so!

By the way, not quite on topic but thought you'd like to know if you don't already, there's another Fuji lens offer out now. £100 off one XF lens and £300 off two.

12. LongSticks thread starter macrumors 6502

We have an X-E1 and it is a great camera! Got it 8 weeks before they finally launched the 2, which narked me a bit, but there never a right time with Tech!
    Will have a look at the cash back though, thanks for that.

13. whiteonline macrumors 6502

whiteonline

I read all the articles and excitement of the X-T1, and the gear lust sets in.
    Then I take a deep breath, grab my X-Pro with Fuji 23mm and put it all back into perspective.
    Lovely camera, but I will wait for the second-hand X-Pro 2's to hit the market. ;)

Oh, and small nit-pick. The X-T1 is "weather resistant", not water proof (nor would I trust the designation even if stated).

14. phrehdd macrumors 68040

phrehdd

I would imagine that if some water splashed on the camera and was wiped off it would be fine. Many weather resistant cameras handle very well in damp conditions as well as splashes of water. I think Fuji would, given their market, be wise enough to handle that type of situation. As for immersing the camera in water - I wouldn't do that to anything but an underwater housing or cameras designed for being under water (grin).

15. Woodcrest64 macrumors 6502a

Woodcrest64

Er... Why does Fuji limit RAW to iso 6400. I know you can underexpose and bring it up in lightroom but it be nice not to have to do that.