Photos and picture sharing

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Chiily, Sep 5, 2016.

1. Chiily macrumors newbie

I'm relatively new to Macs, but I find somethings so infuriating that I would consider selling my iMac on.

All I want to do it share some pictures with my daughter on the same iMac so she can edit them. How hard can it be? Very hard so it seems.

I followed what it said on Apple's support site, created a shared album, added the pictures to the shared album , logged in as my daughter, opened the shared album and there are the pictures. ..wow I thought, easy...but no. She can't get them out of the shared folder to add to a PowerPoint presentation or to edit them...useless.

In the end I copied the pictures out of my Photos app on to a USB stick so she could drag them off there...what a terrible, unuser friendly way of doing stuff.

Anyone know a better way?

In windows; drag the pictures to a public folder..job done...

Oh and just where has my mac stored my jpg files?

2. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

3. Chiily thread starter macrumors newbie

4. Bruno09 macrumors 68020

Hi,

your daughter can import the shared pictures in her Photos Library (right click the thumbnail, "import", or drag the picture to an existing album).

From there, she can edit the picture, she can export it, etc... as any other picture.

In Photos, menu bar, View menu, "Show Side bar", if this makes things easier.

5. Chiily thread starter macrumors newbie

Kk...I will try that. Thank you.

I assume that will make a copy for her but not a reference to my copy of the photos?

6. Bruno09, Sep 7, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2016

Bruno09 macrumors 68020

Yes this will make a copy for her only.

If she edit that picture, yours will not be modified.

If she need to use a picture in say, Powerpoint, in Photos, select the picture, menu bar/File menu : Export (to the Destop for example, or to the Pictures folder).
    From here, the picture can be used by any application.

Your photos are stored in your "Photos Library", default location : the "Pictures" folder of your account.
    If you need a picture (the file), use the File menu/Export.
    However, one rarely needs to export the files, as many features are built in Photos (sharing, editing, etc...)

In the menu bar you have a useful "Help" menu.