Photos App 2 Different Mac's

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jaynecobb, Apr 17, 2015.

1. jaynecobb macrumors member

I have an iMac and a Macbook Air.

I admit that I am confused about the

"Download Originals to this Mac"
    and
    "Optimise Mac Storage"

The later says Originals will also be stored on this Mac if you have enough storage.

I am curious exactly what that line means. Obviously my Macbook Air has limited storage space

So will iCloud try to fill it up with as many originals as it can?

What I have done in the past is while on vacation taken pictures and than edited them on my Macbook air and than transferred them to my iMac.(and than ultimately deleting them from my macbook air)

Will I still be able to do that? (again concerned with the space on my macbook air)

Thanks everyone for the help

2. jaynecobb thread starter macrumors member

Perhaps its not possible to have a photo collection function on 2 different Macs at the same time?

My Macbook Air has stopped updating when set on "Optimize Mac Storage" with this message

"This Mac is no longer updating because there is not enough space to store optimized versions of photos and videos"

Id like my Macbook Air to function like my iPhone or iPad(which seem to work fine). I can see all of the photos, I can edit specific ones, but none are specifically stored on the actual device.

Is this not possible on the Macbook Air?

3. rikscha macrumors 6502a

I am curious to find out about when exactly the line is drawn. Anyone?

I was hoping I could gain 1/3 of storage back on my drive by using iCloud library.