Photos app and iTunes Match question - HELP!!!!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Apple!Fre@k, May 4, 2015.

1. Apple!Fre@k macrumors 6502a

Hey guys, I just upgraded to the Photos app. I also have iTunes Match. My understanding is that iTunes Match puts ALL of my music in the cloud and the Photos app moves ALL of my photos into the cloud.

Which is why I don't understand why they are still showing as being stored on my iMac. DaisyDisk shows pictures taking up 514GB and music taking up 411GB.

I want that stuff off my local drive and into the cloud and I thought that's what I was getting. Do I have to manually delete it from my computer? Won't that make it disappear in the cloud also?

What should I do??? Many thanks in advance!

2. jk73 macrumors 6502

The new Photos app only uploads one's pictures to iCloud if one chooses that option and then subscribes to an iCloud storage plan.

iTunes Match doesn't "move" anything. It either matches songs or uploads songs, but all files remain on one's local drive. If you want to regain some HD space, then select files in iTunes and click "delete." A pop-up box should appear that asks if you want to keep the files or move them to the trash; choose "move to trash."

Note: Do NOT check the "remove from iCloud" or "remove from iTunes Match" checkbox in the dialogue box or else you'll delete the files from *both* iTunes and the cloud.