Photos app dislikes

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Big Stevie, Apr 11, 2015.

1. Big Stevie, Apr 11, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2015

Big Stevie macrumors 6502a

Big Stevie

Wish i'd not updated from iPhoto. Heres my dislikes..

• Hate the white background colour. iPhotos black background showed photos off so much better.
    • No longer able to roll over Event to show its contents
    • Editing features missing, such as 'Boost'.
    • Really cant see any iprovement over iPhoto

If theres any way of reverting back to iPhoto then please let me know!

2. dsemf macrumors regular

Assuming that you did not delete the iPhotos library, just run iPhoto instead of Photos.

DS

3. chabig macrumors 68040

4. Big Stevie thread starter macrumors 6502a

Big Stevie

Thanks guys., I didn't realise it was still there. Ive just dragged iPhoto back into my dock (from Applications)

Long live iPhoto, long live the King.

5. deluxeshredder macrumors 6502a

Photos app has hung on me during the first attempt to import photos from a NAS.

6. interstella macrumors regular

interstella

Quite simply, I fail to see any use for this app whatsoever. It looks like a rather crude beta version. I don't think I'll be bothering to use it.

I really don't know what's got into Apple recently. Whoever designed this app should consider a career change.

7. Noidea55 macrumors newbie

Noidea55

yet again

when are developers going to wake up and acknowledge that continuous improvement doesn't equate to backwards change? Seems too me that photos would have benefited from being undertaken by somebody who actually used iphotos. And why release a programme that is still undergoing development? Anyhow guess I either live with it or not.

So agree that white background (reminiscent of old Adobe PSE) is hard on the eyes & difficult to navigate without hard divisions between photo events.

It was also helpful to see the number of photos included in each of your headers (incl no. hidden pics).

Is it me but with iphoto I could drag photos between the different Event Titles; now if I drag photos into different locations photos appears to duplicate the photo leaving the original photo in its original location.

Oh well back to working my way through it.

8. Big Stevie thread starter macrumors 6502a

Big Stevie

The appearance of the new Photos app is horrendous. Iphoto looked great with its black background making photos stand out. Apple have lost the plot.

9. JTToft macrumors 68040

- I really hate that, too. I love that feature. In Photos we just have a bunch of dead thumbnails on a white background.

I'll keep using iPhoto until they make Photos at least a little usable.

10. willed macrumors newbie

What were they thinking?

Photos is an organisational nightmare.

Roll-over preview and Events in iPhoto enabled me to sort 36,000 photos into individual narratives which were quickly and easily accessible.

Now, I have one great big continuous photo-blob. It looks like a teenager's iPhone, just a load of random pics mixed together - even I've no idea at a glance where one event ends and another begins, and I took the pictures! I could spend the time drilling down to albums, but they're like iPhoto albums - unlike Events they don't automatically contain all my photos, and of course they only show one thumbnail, whether an album contains 8 or 800 photos.

What a massive step backwards. There goes 13 years of photo organisation out of the window.

I guess I'll stick with iPhoto for now, but need a plan B for when it's eventually unsupported. Also, I've wanted to sync all photos for the cloud for years. It's such a shame that when it finally comes along, it's terribly implemented.

11. iapplelove macrumors 68040

iapplelove

Only thing good about the new photos app is it's much easier to set desk top backgrounds lol

12. Big Stevie, Apr 12, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2015

Big Stevie thread starter macrumors 6502a

Big Stevie

Another annoying feature of Photos..

Previously, when viewing in image online I could right click on the image and an option to 'Add Image to iPhoto' appeared. But now that option has gone, and has been replace with 'Add Image To Photos'.

When viewing a photo in Preview, clicking the Share icon only allows me to 'Add to Photos', I no longer have the option to 'Add to iPhoto'.

The only way I can see to add an image to iPhoto is to first save it to somewhere like Desktop, then drag it into iPhoto.

Im on my way to Apple HQ with a can of petrol and a match!

13. DavidLeblond macrumors 68020

DavidLeblond

Also the "hide" feature in Photos. It adds it to the "Hidden Photos" album (which is hidden) and marks it as hidden. But still shows it everywhere else! :eek: