Photos app: How do I point it to my Photos folder?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by JuryDuty, Apr 10, 2015.

1. JuryDuty macrumors 6502

JuryDuty

I just opened the new Photos app for the first time and it located my old iPhoto library, which I never used.

I do, however, have a huge folder of Photos located elsewhere that I would prefer it use instead.

Is there a way to point it to using that folder? I don't want to move the folder because it's being backed up by OneDrive where it is.

2. chabig macrumors 68040

I think you just drag that folder onto Photos app and it will copy those pictures into its library.

3. JuryDuty thread starter macrumors 6502

JuryDuty

When you say "copy" do you mean I would then have duplicates of EVERY photo I have? Or is it just indexing them??

4. chabig macrumors 68040

That's an interesting question and I don't know the answer. I expect that it would copy the photos into its own library by default. But there is a checkbox in the Preferences to copy the files. If you uncheck that box, it might just incorporate the photos by reference.

5. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Huh?

If you didn't use iPhoto, why use Photos?

If you'd like your photos to stay where they are and not be copied into the library but still be visible in Photos, uncheck that option in Photos Preferences.

6. JuryDuty thread starter macrumors 6502

JuryDuty

Because I just got a Mac a few months ago and never used anything.

I don't see that option in my Preferences....unless you mean the "Importing" checkbox. I figured that was only if I was importing, not just pointing to a new place, which is what I wanted to do, but it won't let me change the Library location.

Attached Files:

7. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Okay...

If you're not importing the photos, which you're not if that box is unchecked, the photos themselves will stay wherever you have them now.

The Photos library will have the reference files and sorting info.

If you want to make a completely new Photo Library somewhere else, hold down option when starting up Photos, choose new library, and tell it where you want it.

I have mine on Dropbox (same with iPhoto too) and it works fine. Only difference is that I import my photos into the library.

8. JuryDuty thread starter macrumors 6502

JuryDuty

Excellent! That worked great. I just created a new Library in my OneDrive folder so it's backed up, too. Thank you for your thorough answer.

9. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Yep!

Thank you for answering my questions with enough clarity so I could give you one.

10. bootz macrumors member

Thank you! This was driving me crazy. These are the kinds of things that drive me mad using OS X. I love my original rMBP but you have to wonder why you have to hold down the Option key to change the directory. I had my iPhoto library stored on an external drive to save space but Photos gave me no such opportunity to choose my Photos library directory.

Do they think we are braindead?

11. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Nope

No, but they know the vast majority would screw this up.

Then they'd have two libraries.

Then another.

Then a fourth and fifth, each with its own AppleID.

People, like us, have Macrumors to find help, but at least we have an idea about what we're doing.