Photos.app issues

Discussion in 'macOS Catalina (10.15)' started by jamezh2020, Jun 7, 2019.

1. jamezh2020 macrumors newbie

jamezh2020

Hi there :)

i´m having serious issues migrating my existing photo library with 10.15´s Photos.app.
    Is anyone else having trouble as well?

2. ozhero macrumors newbie

ozhero

I've not tried to migrate as concerned it might stuff up my library and I have a LOT of photos etc (as I use iCloud).

What sort of problems are you having?

3. jamezh2020 thread starter macrumors newbie

jamezh2020

I´m getting this error message while I´m trying to migrate my library..

Attached Files:

4. macintoshmac macrumors 68030

macintoshmac

I faced this issue when I tried to remove the original library and create a fresh one. Apparently, as of now, you best not touch what is there. :p

I brought back the original library from the Trash and it worked again like a charm.

Try one thing though. Rename the new photos library to Photos Library.photoslibrary and see if that works. There might be a reason why the original library had that extension name in the name.

5. jamezh2020 thread starter macrumors newbie

jamezh2020

Its at least trying to migrate after I renamed my library... Let's hope it's actually doing it this time. Thanks for the hint :)

6. ozhero macrumors newbie

ozhero

This looks scary enough for me to stay away :)

7. macintoshmac macrumors 68030

macintoshmac

If it is trying to migrate, most likely will. Let's hope for the best. Enjoy your Catalina experience.

Some issues that made me downgrade back to Mojave were:

1. Major issue with Launchpad where apps installed from outside App Store do not reflect. On top of that, if you reset launchpad, the apps you installed from MAS will disappear from Launchpad too. Only Apple apps will remain in LP then. Meanwhile, all apps work perfectly well from Applications folder.

This was one major issue that made me go back.

2. Sometimes it would seem that system (Finder, maybe) would not perform the operation I just commanded it to.

3. Some apps were not working, namely Illustrator CC. I could bypass it with Affinity Designer though.

4. Another major issue is with keyboard language. If you are going for a fresh install, you may face some difficulty depending on your region. Even though I selected another, the installation was done in British English region and language preference, meaning that a character in my password was not recognised and I had to change my Apple ID password to accommodate the character, after close to 30 minutes of thinking what all could be going on. Clearly, buggy and beta 1 at its prime. :p

Overall, seems to be a buggy beta 1 but felt noticeably better and faster (read more responsive) than Mojave on my MBA 2017. I like where this is headed.

8. jamezh2020 thread starter macrumors newbie

jamezh2020

Didn't work... well I guess I will have to wait for Beta 2 then...

9. rick987611 macrumors member

Even if you do it to work it has a lot of trouble syncing. Best to just wait until the next Beta for Photos.

10. haralds macrumors 6502a

haralds

I have a largish library of about 130GB. Aftertrundling our eternity it failed. Finally just started to let it download.

11. jamezh2020 thread starter macrumors newbie

jamezh2020

My library is just under 800GB. So I figure when Photos.app is having trouble with 130GB this would explain my difficulties... :(

12. macintoshmac macrumors 68030

macintoshmac

Again, it is mentioned in the release notes that large libraries can have difficulties. They are testing something and will have a clone of the library in iCloud too for some purpose.