Photos app mac

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by CHMK, May 25, 2015.

1. CHMK macrumors regular

is it just me or is the new photos app on Mac a horrible alternative to iPhoto? Now, when I sync, my albums section on my iPhone is messed up – I have two Videos albums (one saying 'From my mac'), two Panorama albums (ditto), and a huge mass of split up iPhoto events... any way to fix this or is everyone else having this problem too?

Please help, thanks

2. crashoverride77, May 28, 2015
    Last edited: May 28, 2015

crashoverride77 macrumors 65816

Yeah if you have photos synced from your iPhoto library to your phone they will not get replaced or integrated with IPL. You need to delete them from your phone via iPhoto.
    Albums synced via iPhoto to iPhones don't really act like photos taken or stored on your device, that's why it' says from my Mac, and I believe that's why you cannot delete them from you phone directly but rather need iPhoto again.
    It's was the old and horrible way of photo management and syncing, once IPL is set up correctly than it is miles better than iPhoto.
    The only thing so far the annoys me is that there is no manual geotagging, but that will most likely come soon.

So the best way is to either export all your photos from iPhoto to a folder (with all current edits) and than import to IPL or use the photos migration assistant or whatever it's called to keep your albums created on your Mac. Again bear in mind tho that photos synced to your iPhone via iPhoto will not get added or replaced because of the weird way they are treated when synced from iPhoto. Just make sure you import all your photos to iPhoto on your Mac, than delete everything synced to your iOS devices, and than migrate. This way there is no duplicates or leftover synced iPhoto albums on iOS devices etc. Hope that helps.

3. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

At first I thought it was great and loved the syncing between my phone and Mac. However, it really is very limited in functionality and I've ended up moving to a whole new workflow based around Lightroom

4. crashoverride77 macrumors 65816

The real trick with IPL library is that you can still use more advanced software while still improving your workflow tremendously.
    If you take photos on multiple devices you have to import and manage them in Lightroom, which is so old fashioned.
    With IPL you have your photos basically instantly on your Mac and its much easier to export it, than edit it with advanced software, and than import back to IPL.

5. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

Photos from my iOS devices import automatically into my Lightroom library via Lightroom mobile. I do import photos from my SLR by plugging it in, but that would be the same for IPL too

All my photos get sent to Flickr from Lightroom so are available on all my devices and I also have a backup on Google Drive which happens automatically (I have an unlimited Google Apps account), and I can easily publish my best photos to 500px

If I want to share any photos with other iOS users using iCloud photo sharing, I can do that directly from Lightroom mobile without having to add them to my IPL

The way I'm setup now I haven't lost any of the convenience of IPL but have gained massively more control over my photos (particularly the raw ones from my SLR, including geotagging them). It's a shame because IPL promised so much but delivers so little...

6. crashoverride77 macrumors 65816

Fair enough if they offer cloud integration. Just saying even using photos with those apps works great.