Photos app price

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by satinsilverem2, Jan 19, 2015.

1. satinsilverem2 macrumors 6502

satinsilverem2

So does anyone have any idea how much the new Photos app will cost? Seeing how Aperture was a paid app and iPhoto was most of its life, I can't see them making it free. Any thoughts?

2. Natzoo macrumors 65816

Natzoo

I thought iphoto was free?

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

You're asking about pricing on an unreleased piece of software, we really can't answer that. It could be free, or Apple could charge for it.

4. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

It will be free most likely. Third-party extensions will not, and I'm sure we're going to see anything from free, $0.99, all the way to $100.

5. mw360 macrumors 65816

mw360

It will almost certainly be free. Apple's new iCloud strategy is to get your data onto their servers. Once it's there you'll need to keep updating your Apple hardware to maintain access to it. That's where they make the real money.

6. robgendreau macrumors 68030

Or would they make money on charges for online storage?

I would think that it'll almost assuredly be free in some form, unless they have like a "Photos" and "Photos Pro." Or if they charge for in-application purchases like filters. One would assume that any OS developer would include in the OS some relatively sophisticated photo organizer...it's sorta been taken for granted up to now.